Bedroom TV

Page 2 of 3

On Jun 3, 8:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Guess you should know....right HD Boi?
Add pictures here
βœ–

So, are you saying that the picture on a 16:9 wide screen is taller than the picture on a 4:3 19 inch TV? I'd say that makes you a self professed idiot once again Mo-Ron
Add pictures here
βœ–

AGREED!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 3, 8:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

And an LCD is very thin and light; almost feels like a toy compared to the TVs of yore.
I guess an equivalent size would be a 19" or 21" CRT and I remember those not being particularly light. I still have an excellent Samsung CRT monitor that I bought new back in the mid-late 90s. It'll probably stay in my garage until I clean up and recycle it :(
nate
Add pictures here
βœ–

The vertical height is what is most important, as that determines how tall people will be in the movie you are watching...
Widescreen 16:9 ratio
24" = 20.92" wide 11.76" tall
22" = 19.17" 10.78"
19" = 16.56" 9.32"
Standard 4:3 ratio
20" = 16.00" 12.00"
19" = 15.2" 11.4"
17" = 13.6" 10.2"
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 4, 10:28 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You left out letterbox on a 4:3, which makes the vertical height height even smaller, but can also increased on a 16:9 with the zoom feature.
http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi
http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi
http://www.cavecreations.com/tv2.cgi
And what is "most important" is debatable (not with you of course), because if a movie was shot in 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 you are missing a lot of the original content if the move is "formatted to fit this screen" like a lot of VHS movies were.
Add pictures here
βœ–
N8N wrote:

I feel your pain. I have about 6 or 7 perfectly good 17" CRT monitors sitting in corners around here that I can't GIVE away. (Mostly Trinitron- damn things Will Not Die.) I'm too much of a cheap SOB to send working equipment to be demanufactured, and my long-dead EE grandfather would haunt me if I did. All leftovers from a brief period when it was possible to make a few bucks on the side buying used commercial PCs in bulk, cleaning them up, and reselling them at half the price of a new one. Moore's law bit me in the ass, and I am stuck with a couple hundred bucks (my cost) of working PIII PCs that are essentially worthless. One of these days I'll throw Ubuntu on the lot of them, and put them on Freecycle, just to get rid of them. (Perfectly competent e-mail terminals for people that can't get their kids off the 'real' PC for five minutes.)
--
aem sends....

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/4/2010 8:19 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Have you ever tried to Linux the boxes and post them on Craigslist?
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Daring Dufas wrote:

That is almost what I said- Ubuntu being a flavor of Linux, and Freecycle being rather like CL, just with lowered expectations. (IOW, getting it gone is more important than getting money.) I suppose I should try CL first, and maybe the swap board at work as well.
At this point, I'd GIVE them to a good home, or only charge what they are worth to me for parts. (Hey, an optical burner is worth something...) Gotta keep the one with a 5.25 floppy drive in it, though- still got a file drawer full of those, most of which are probably still readable.
I really need a SWMBO to nag my sorry ass into actually finishing any of the projects I start- it has gotten rather out of control. I'd need to at least clean up the front room enough to not scare strangers before I place the CL ads, so they don't run in terror when I open the door.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/4/2010 10:21 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I have a lot of older computer gear that I hang on to because, believe it or not, I have some customers who are still running DOS and certain software simply because it works. The newfangled super fast motherboards and CPU's are not compatible. People think I'm crazy for rescuing old computers from the trash heap.
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Daring Dufas wrote: (snip)

Oh, I believe it. I keep an old slow Dell laptop chained under my desk at work, that boots up in dos 6.22, and still has a 9-pin serial port. The software I use to program the decade-old walkie-talkies that our contractor staff uses, will not run under windows (even in a dos box), or on a USB to serial adapter for the PC to radio interface box. They used to try to keep replacing it on me, but I think it finally fell off the inventory records. As long as we use those vintage radios (Motorola HT1000), I need that relic of a PC, even if it only gets booted up 2-3 times a year. Those Motorolas are not dying anytime soon- these are from before M. off-shored all their production, and are built to mil-spec standards for outside use. Living inside an office building all day is easy duty for them. I'll be retired before those radios are. (The kid contractors keep asking for PTT cell phones to replace them, and I keep telling them Not On My Watch- we OWN the radios and the repeater on the roof, and I'm not gonna ask the taxpayers to start paying $40? a month per user, for something that doesn't work as well. We have about 100 of the radios, so it would be a hell of a cell phone bill.)
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 6/5/2010 3:37 AM, aemeijers wrote:

I have a Dell C600 laptop that has a serial port and I use it to program anything with a serial interface because some equipment will only work with a (true) serial port. Those HT1000 radios are newer than the radios I took care of for the contractor I worked for at the Kwajalein Missile Range back in the late 80's. Those units were just as tough and were also software programmable. Do you remember the old Motorola "brick" cellphones? Those things were built like tanks too and you could run over one of them with a truck and not break it.
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–

I used to have some computers like that at my last job. Hopefully the people still there recognized their necessity for maintaining vintage systems and did not shitcan them.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Don't put too much hope into that. After the honeymoon is over you end up with 2 sets of projects that need finishing.<g>
Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–

All you need to do is move. It's a lot cheaper than a SWMBO and they'll make you do it anyway.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Nope. I still have crates from 2 moves ago that haven't been opened. Some of them are the parts from my former freelance used-PC endeavors. Not to mention the crates full of paperbacks that I will never read again, that nobody else on earth wants, that I still can't bear to recycle.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
βœ–

I have a couple, but most will be opened as soon as I can get a shop put together. Others are permanent storage, but most got dumped in the last couple of moves (two 30yd roll-offs).

We give paperbacks to the local library for their annual sale (a write-off, too). Not sure what SWMBO does with the hard covers.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 3, 7:58 am, "Stormin Mormon"

Well, it's not "too big" compared to a 60" TV.
However, too big or too small has more to do with the viewing range than the actual physical size of the unit.
A 60" screen is "too big" for your average bedroom but "too small" for your average football stadium.
When choosing an HD TV, the size should be based on how far from the unit you will normally be while viewing it. Too big/too close means reduced quality. Too small/too far means eye strain.
Too big/too close is far worse than too small/too far. Why spend big bucks on a 55" screen just because it fits on a wall only to be stuck with deminished quality because your bed is too close?
Use a calculator like this to help determine the right size:
http://hdinstallers.com/calculator.htm
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Jun 3, 7:58 am, "Stormin Mormon"

This isn't 1960 :)
Also, if you have to watch the TV in a 4:3 mode the picture is a lot smaller.
But of course a lot of people don't mind using the "stretch" mode and watching a distorted picture.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:06:28 -0700, Ron wrote:

I watch 4:3 aspect on my 16:9 cropped. Give a little top and bottom away so you're not stretching much if any. I tried to get used to watching stretched out but couldn't.
Add pictures here
βœ–