Bedroom TV

Page 1 of 3

Searched available groups but none seem to have a subject pertaining to my question. So here goes in this group where people have been well versed over the years.
I'm searching for what I call a bedroom TV. Not too big, not too small. An LCD between 24" and 32" perhaps. Trouble is I'm looking for a specific feature. An on/off timer. Sometimes called an alarm timer. Unlike regular sleep timers these turn on the set. Makes a nice alternative to alarm clocks.
Going to both Walmart and Best Buy I discovered they don't have any remotes available. The data cards don't mention it nor do the shipping boxes. So no way to check the on screen menus.
Perhaps someone here is in retail electronics? Or maybe someone has purchased a new set fairly recently? If so I would really appreciate knowing available makes/models to look for.

Have you heard of Google?
22":
http://salestores.com/toshiba22av6.html
34"
http://salestores.com/sonykvhr.html
I'm sure I could fine more....
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 19:39:50 +0000, Jim wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=LCD+TV+32%22+with+wake+up+timer

All Sony and JVC TVs over 15" diag. used to have this feature, and probably still do. It does not take long to ask.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 18:00:15 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:

You likely have better informed sales people near you. The ones near me thought a sleep timer was the same thing.

I've never had a TV which didn't have a timer. The two most recent LCD TVs I currently bought also have timers. When visiting the electronics/TV retailer, play with the features on the displayed TVs and/or search the menu option. I'm willing to bet you'll find a timer.
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 19:00:35 -0400, SBH wrote:

Just returned from PC Richards, a local electronics retailer, and did just that. Once again the salesman started by saying they all have it. Took three reminders that I specified a on/off timer not the sleep timer he was thinking of.
Did find a couple Samsung models to compare against. So the trip wasn't a total waste.

I have a 20 year old tv that has that feature. I would think it would be even more common now.

Some stores used to have the manuals themselves under the tv. Less likely to be stolen than a remote.
But go to a better store. A family owned tv and appliance store, and ask there. I'm told their prices are often no higher anyhow, and you get better service.
Do the tv's really not have a menu button ON the tv?

Some features are so small or common they're not mentioned, but the features also might not be there.
Get the manual online.

On 6/3/2010 2:24 AM, mm wrote:

Unfortunately big box has everyone trained to think they are experts.
There is a large family owned appliance/electronics store nearby and both the owners son and one of the employees are really knowledgeable. And unlike the big box place where they bring the sales people into the back room each morning and tell them what items they should push to get a $3 commission they give you honest and helpful answers because they are there for the long stretch. And as you noted the prices are competitive because they belong to a buying co-op.

... tell them what items they should push to get

0 Curious to know which big box electronics store you are referring to that remunerates its staff thus? Presumably this is pure (and probably false) conjecture on your part.
On 6/3/2010 8:14 PM, cubby wrote:

Or not. Two young relatives of mine and at least two more children of friends all reported the same thing when they worked there after college until they got real jobs. They pump them up at the beginning of the shift by telling them what particular items have spiffs and how much it was.
If you know better why did you challenge me?

There are no "mom and pop" stores where I live. No way could they compete with Best Buy, hhgreg, Walmart and even Circuit City when they were in business.

DerbyDad03 (aka putz) here...
I don't know where you live (actually, I don't really care) but we've got more than one "mom and pop" (aka independent) electronics/ appliance stores in my area, surviving rather well. One store recently opened 2nd location, and quite near a Best Buy.
Every time I drive by, there are cars in parking lot and quite often people are loading items into their vehicles. Competition appears to be alive and well in my part of the country.
(I can't wait to hear what you'll say about that simple fact.)

What fact?
There are NO "mom and pop" stores where *I* live that can compete with the above mentioned AFA as selling TVs.
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 21:06:04 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Mom & Pop stores still thrive in areas with a little affluence and discriminating, well educated populations that know the difference between them and the big chains. The only places they can't compete is where the population is only interested in the lowest price. I've found that local Mom & Pop operations tend to know their products, give superior service, and are usually able to come very close on price.
Mission accomplished. While out searching for a TV I instead learned of a MONITOR that has a built in digital tuner. And of course the desired on/off timer function.
Since when is 24 to 32 inches "not too big"? Having grown up watching a 13 inch black and white "GE Adventurer 1", I think your sense of proportion is a bit much.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Go look at a 24 inch 16:9 widescreen TV and see what you think.
It's not very big at all compared to a 4:3 ratio 19 inch TV.
It's wider, but a LOT shorter vertically.
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 08:15:28 -0400, salty wrote:

I have a 16:9 32" HDTV in my bedroom and it consumes the entire top of my vertical dresser. My 24" LG LCD PC monitor is also around 16:9 aspect but is much smaller than the 32" mainly because of the obvious difference in the size of the LCD panel but also because the 24" monitor has no speakers on the sides.

Wow!