Becoming a Home Inspector

I am approaching 60 (and in great shape) and beginning to look at some alternative ways to earn some income. Having owned quite a few homes and built one, the thought of becoming a home inspector (NH, ME) has crossed my mind. It seems like something I would enjoy as I like looking at the underpinnings of a property and enjoy people in general. I have a pretty good network of builders and realtors in my area as well.
Anyway, like anything else, I'm sure there are some significant downsides to it as well. If anybody does this for a living and can offer some advice other then IHMHUMA. That would be great.
Thanks, Jim

Here and in many locations it is now a licensed activity. Check the laws for your area of interest.
Colbyt

but these days states are starting to license HIs.
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:30:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

On 3/31/2011 5:10 PM, jtpr wrote: (snip) IHMHUMA. That would be great.

???? Explain the acronym, please. Never read it before, and can't find it.
--
aem sends, curious....

I Have My Head Up My Ass....
On 4/1/2011 12:03 PM, jtpr wrote:

Snerk. Wonder why the usual dictionaries of internet slang didn't have it. No disrespect, but that can't be a new one.
--
aem sends...

It's not common - I looked, too. It's also something you don't really want to say as often as IMHO.
-- Bobby G.

I also had interest in this, but in this market, I'm sure that it is like a lot of the other markets. The good established guys get most of the existing business, and a lot of the others have gone out of business all together.
I am in a specialized real estate inspection field, that of homeowner association reserve study. We do a study that inventories every component that dues goes towards, and make a 30 year projection as to how much money should be collected in dues to cover these costs as they come along. Those are required any time a new subdivision is finished, every five years afterward, and a yearly minimal inspection. It pays from $40 - $100 an hour. But, again, there is lots of competition. But, as with the other inspectors, the best inspectors have kept most of the work, and the lamebrained lowballers come and go.
As a job, I wouldn't think there are a lot of inspections going on in today's market, and I believe there are a lot of already licensed inspectors already out there.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com