Bear deterrent

A young bear took some chunks out of my new lawn mower seat. What is good to spray on plastic to deter the critter? Its either that or shoot the beast.

Not sure what to do about it, but I bet he was after the salt that you sweated on the seat.
On Saturday, June 9, 2012 12:06:37 PM UTC-6, Ralph Mowery wrote:

You could be right on that. I watched him licking the lid of my burn barrel as well. I could put out the remains of an old salt block used for cattle. That might satisfy him and keep him from damaging more stuff.
Either that, or attract a herd of bear?
Never know, could make things better or worse. I'd try it, and see.
I could put out the remains of an old salt block used for cattle. That might satisfy him and keep him from damaging more stuff.

Or make him a lifetime bud.

If you don't like bears you shouldn't live in bear country.
Your neighbors also know nothing of bears...? ----- - gpsman
I'd check with your farm and garden. I did a google on bear repellant, and came up with a lot of brands of pepper spray.
Got to be something people don't notice, but which tastes bad to bears. Can you get attorney juice?
A young bear took some chunks out of my new lawn mower seat. What is good to spray on plastic to deter the critter? Its either that or shoot the beast.

We had a bear break into our shed to get at dog kibble. After 3 attacks, the bear finally ripping the door clean off, we called CO Dept of Wildlife (DOW). They said do only one thing. Call the DOW, who will come out, trap the bear, and relocate it. It's the only alternative in CO, where it's a felony to shoot a bear. You goin' to the big house if you do and don't have a life n' death excuse or a bear tag.
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
We had a bear break into our shed to get at dog kibble. After 3 attacks, the bear finally ripping the door clean off, we called CO Dept of Wildlife (DOW). They said do only one thing. Call the DOW, who will come out, trap the bear, and relocate it. It's the only alternative in CO, where it's a felony to shoot a bear. You goin' to the big house if you do and don't have a life n' death excuse or a bear tag.
nb
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

Hmm, I'm not familiar with a portrait of Lincoln bare.
On Saturday, June 9, 2012 3:55:56 PM UTC-6, notbob wrote:

I am a landowner in Alberta. Its legal to shoot bears any time in the agricultural area...no tag required. I just hate to shoot them if there are other choices. If he becomes a pest I will just have to call our "Fish and Wildlife" guys and have him trapped.
Thanks for the come-back.
On 6/9/2012 7:47 PM, Roy wrote:

electric fence around your property you might deter him with something like capsaicin sprayed on things but who knows what else he might get into.

wow-- I'm surprised there are so few bears in NV. [45 permits only- and the season will end when 20 are harvested] About 1300 were harvested in NY last year-- They are becoming real nuisances even in cities.
Back to the op-- Call whoever controls bears in your state to see what they recommend. Your taxes are paying for their expertise-- and *they* are the experts on your local bears.
Jim

We should have a moose season within a few years-- They are not so rare anymore.
Jim

Yer electric fence has a steering wheel?
--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs