Bear claw bath tap leak can't get tap off???

We have an old bear claw bath that has one of those shower single faucet tap arrangements. If you look behind the bath the hot and cold pipes go into the rear and there is single spout at the front. On each side of the spout is a tap fitting that rotates about 270 degrees, you use these to get the temp you want. Our hot water tap is dripping and we want to stop it, the problem is that we can't get the tap cover off to get at the gasket. We can remove the screw holding it on BUT when we try to pull it off it won't budge. How do we get the tap cover off?

Reply to
harry palmer

More info the unit looks like this

harry palmer

Buy a "handle puller". Will remove the handle without damage.

First, turn the handle so the tap is part way open. Under the handle, you'll find a large bonnet nut. Loosen that and the stem can be unscrewed to replace the washer.

Be sure to carefully inspect the "seat" inside the faucet. If it is scored or eroded, new washers won't last.

Not exactly your setup, but there is a helpful article here:

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

thanks Jim a great answer and we should be able to get somewhere now. Thanks again

Reply to
harry palmer