"beadboard" table top?

I'm making an island for my kitchen which is just about completed. I really like the look of beadboard and was wondering if it would be possible to use this as a table top if I polyurethaned it. There is 1/2 inch plywood under whatever I decide to top this with for support. It wouldn't be used for cutting or hot materials, more just to eat at.
TIA,
Lorraine

really
use
Sure, go for it. It will be a bitch to clean though. Them crevices will start to fill after a while. Otherwise, it is as good as any other poly coated material. Try to leave the poly fill in a bit so they will be smoother and not as prone to collect crumbs.
If the table is very large, you may need more than 1/2" plywood. Ed

really
use
forget the cleaning of the beads. you will be spilling glasses of liquids all the time. if you do make a table with bead board (wainscoting wood) be sure to buy a wet/dry shop vac and lots of bounty paper towels.........you will need it.
*Tip* use the boards upside down so it is flat on the top.
Personally I hate tabletops that aren't flat. Your plate and glass rock back and forth while you're trying to eat, and glasses fall over all the time.
Theoretically your ideal will work. Practically, I recommend against it.

really
use
not only what the rest of the posters are stating, but poly is easily scratched. once it does so, liquids will get into the wood, causing discoloration and bacterial growth. furthermore, you have to completely remove poly to put more on when you refinish, and you won't be able to get it out of the cracks between the boards.
there's a reason they use solid surface butcherblock, with no coating but oil, as countertops.
regards, charlie cave creek, az

really
use
If you really like the look, have you considered putting a piece of glass or plastic over the beadboard.
Larry Hazel