BBQ Thermometer probe replacement

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I'll hope. I have a Nu-Temp wireless thermometer that I really like (http://www.nu-temp.com/701.htm ) except for 2 things.
The maximun temperature that it can display is 392F, and even the high temp probe (http://ww5.aitsafe.com/cf/add.cfm?useridp118216&product=NU-762+Extended+Range+Simple+Wireless+Food+Thermometer+Probe&price .95&units.95) has a maximum temperature rating of 572F.
My main concern is that I can't check to get, say, a 450F temperature, and I'm a bit concerned that with a hot flame on my LP grill I could damage the probe.
So.... Is it possible to use an alternate probe (thermocouple) that is rated for higher temperatures (something like http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=TJ36-ACL )
I'm not sure if thermocouples can be interchanged or have certain characteristics that would make them unusable.
I just don't want to burn up probes.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!
I've got one, very similar. I've gone through 2 of them already. GREAT thermometers, but they don't seem to last. I'm not sure why...if it was the high temp of the flame, or what. I know water can damage them, so I was very carefull with that.
It's now my understanding, that these are NOT meant to keep inside the grill, for any length of time. It's only meant to take periodic meat temperature readings. That's why it doesn't go any higher than 392, I'm assuming.
Don't know about changing probes...sorry.
Just send check or money order to: Taylor Precision Products 2220 Entrada del Sol Las Cruces, NM 88001 Attn: Alice Salas They are $5.00 each part # if 1470RP