BBQ LP Regulator..?

Whenever I did a large (200+ person) Medieval feast I always included a roast pig. I never cooked the pig myself, I just had the place supplying the animal roast it. I'd send some guys to pick it up with a fancy tray/litter for it, and then they'd carry it into the hall and the crowd would go nuts! I'd recommend having the supplier roast it for you.
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 16:12:37 -0400, <h> wrote:

Makes a good local fundraising event, huh?

Meat Plow WON. He figured out my attack plan....
I've already delegated the help....
Thanks. -- Oren

Oh yeah. We (my re-enactment group) used this as a way to get event sites for cheap. We'd put on a huge fundraiser (private school, church), and then they'd let us use their facilities for a reduced rate. When I did these feasts they'd charge $25 a person, pay us $10 a person, and make a tidy profit in one day. Since people got a 6 course meal with over 40 different dishes, I think they got their money's worth. We were all volunteers, but we at covered the costs and got a really great meal plus a great event site for the future.
<h> wrote in message

No sense of adventure? May as well just get a canned ham if you are subbing out all the cooking.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Well.... At the risk of sounding like a killjoy, don't forget the liability and health department issues, especially if people are paying to eat. Almost every town I have lived in has 2 or 3 good ol' boys who do pig roasting on the side, on site at your event. And they have the proper equipment and experience, and that little sticker on the roaster for whoever the local inspection authority is. A lot of them also do a good schtick while they cook for the customers. Think of it as hiring a chef for the party- a hillbilly Beny Hanna (sp?) as it were.
aem sends...

But we don't know that this is a commercial venture. That is a different set of rules.
Having been involved with many a hog, goat, etc cooked whole, it is not some mystical venture if you have some basic equipment and a little common sense. This is only a 40 pounder the OP is doing.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

If I needed an inspection authority; forget the pig, hot dogs would be served on the road side by scantly/bikini clad employees.

Just three guys from FL, GA and LA (in Las Vegas of all places) cooking on the 4th <G>.

Very likely with plenty of left-over's :-))
-- Oren

Some few years ago I was in Reno, NV and there happened to be a world championship BBQ cook-off. Each vender sold "samples" and every one, was humorus bunch. If one comes to your area - you will have a great time with the family.
Just got off the phone with Bubba :-)
-- Oren

Just the pig. I cooked the rest of the 6 course meal. Since we were at a school or a church, where exactly would we have roasted an entire pig?
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:30:33 -0400, <h> wrote:

What were the dishes served?
-- Oren

Chicken stew, cheeses, breads, honey butter, herb butter, oyster sauce, roast chicken (one on each table), cabbage salad, pepper sauce, pottage, mushroom sauce, venison, rabbit, braised beef, custarde lombarde, leek quiche, cherry moyle, parsnips/peas/carrots in honey sauce, gingerbread, barley wine, mead, spinach tart, meat pies, boiled eggs, frumenty, fig pies, sambocade, pears in wine sauce, and some other stuff I can't remember at the moment - it's been awhile since I've had to feed 200+ at a time :)
<h> wrote in message

In the schoolyard would be good.
I'm not doubting that in some circumstances it may be best to have it done, but read your last line where you state: "I'd recommend having the supplier roast it for you."
The OP is experienced with outdoor cooking and he is doing a 40 pound pig. Why would you recommend he have the supplier roast it for him? What makes you think the supplier has the facilities to do so or the desire to do so? Mine certainly does not. He sell pigs. He does not cook them.
In most cases, cooking the pig (or other animal) is a social event also. I've been to many where we gathered for two or three days and shared in many portions of the work. Why would we want the supplier to do it for us? You can see some of this on my web page.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /.

In your situation, roasting it yourself makes perfect sense. I've always done these fundraisers in upstate NY in the winter, with many feet of snow outside, so no place to roast. Also, I've been able to get into the hall at 9am and was expected to feed 200+ by 5 pm, so no roasting time. As fas as the supplier goes, I've never found a pig supplier (around here) who doesn't also roast them for you. Must be a NY thing. I've never met anyone who had a pig roast who actually roasted the pig themselves. As always, YMMV :)
i have a gauge on mine, never a surprise and i keep a spare tank.
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:47:12 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Glad to hear you have a resolution.
Pick up a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.