BBQ LP Regulator..?

I always feel bad for the pig:( Roasted the whole one looks too much like the live animal......

tasty but sad.

Now steaks dont look like a cow:) Yummy:):)

Reply to
hallerb

The butcher will crack the spine, split the snout too butterfly fly the animal.

I'll put a half apple in each jaw

Yes sir!

-- Oren

Oren

Just keep in mind that that pig's single greatest accomplishment of his existence is about to be fulfilled. That will be one proud piggy. :-D

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Pigs ought to be proud. They are leaner; now, more than ever...

-- Oren

Oren

dang! now I have to name the pig :)

-- Oren

Oren

Oh yeah. We (my re-enactment group) used this as a way to get event sites for cheap. We'd put on a huge fundraiser (private school, church), and then they'd let us use their facilities for a reduced rate. When I did these feasts they'd charge $25 a person, pay us $10 a person, and make a tidy profit in one day. Since people got a 6 course meal with over 40 different dishes, I think they got their money's worth. We were all volunteers, but we at covered the costs and got a really great meal plus a great event site for the future.

Reply to
<h>

Reply to
hamma101

No sense of adventure? May as well just get a canned ham if you are subbing out all the cooking.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well.... At the risk of sounding like a killjoy, don&#39;t forget the liability and health department issues, especially if people are paying to eat. Almost every town I have lived in has 2 or 3 good ol&#39; boys who do pig roasting on the side, on site at your event. And they have the proper equipment and experience, and that little sticker on the roaster for whoever the local inspection authority is. A lot of them also do a good schtick while they cook for the customers. Think of it as hiring a chef for the party- a hillbilly Beny Hanna (sp?) as it were.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

But we don&#39;t know that this is a commercial venture. That is a different set of rules.

Having been involved with many a hog, goat, etc cooked whole, it is not some mystical venture if you have some basic equipment and a little common sense. This is only a 40 pounder the OP is doing.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Just the pig. I cooked the rest of the 6 course meal. Since we were at a school or a church, where exactly would we have roasted an entire pig?

Reply to
<h>

constantly."- Hide quoted text -

I&#39;ve never roasted a pig, but I&#39;ve attended a LOT of pig roasts, and based on the wit and intelligence of most of the people I&#39;ve seen roasting the pig, I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll do just fine! At least you&#39;re taking the time to think it through ahead of time -- I&#39;ve been to a few that featured guys standing around a pickup truck with a butchered pig in the bed, scratching their heads and asking questions like, "Should we dig a pit? Do you know anyone with one of those, like, really big grills? Do you have to take off the skin?"

Jo Ann

Reply to
hillacc at yahoo.com

Some few years ago I was in Reno, NV and there happened to be a world championship BBQ cook-off. Each vender sold "samples" and every one, was humorus bunch. If one comes to your area - you will have a great time with the family.

Just got off the phone with Bubba :-)

-- Oren

"Well, it doesn&#39;t happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."

Reply to
Oren

What were the dishes served?

-- Oren

"Well, it doesn&#39;t happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."

Reply to
Oren

If I needed an inspection authority; forget the pig, hot dogs would be served on the road side by scantly/bikini clad employees.

Just three guys from FL, GA and LA (in Las Vegas of all places) cooking on the 4th .

Very likely with plenty of left-over&#39;s :-))

-- Oren

"Well, it doesn&#39;t happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."

Reply to
Oren

I&#39;ve been to "pig-pickens" at employee events.

Sounds like this pig was happenstance, and they wonder what to do. I slightly mention a pigrosst to Bubba and his eyes resembles a slot machine :-))

Forget the pit in Las Vegas/Mohave rock soil. Rentals are ridiculous. The butcher shop - great folks!!

What was the favorite side dish?

-- Oren

"Well, it doesn&#39;t happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."

Reply to
Oren

It is simple to create a temporary pig pit. Just stack cinder block in a

3-sided configuration about 40" high. Make it long enough and wide enough to comfortably hold the hog. Lay a steel grate on top.

If you are going to do it like in the Carolina region, you want to pre-burn hardwood down to coals. For this, make a seperate burn pit similar to the pig pit, but much smaller.

A reasonable substitue is to use hardwood lump charcoal.

Wrap the split hog in chicken wire, in order to hold it together when you turn the hog.

Start up a good fire in the pit until you&#39;ve got a good bed of coals. Lump charcoal will eliminate the need to do a pre-burn; all you need to do is to get the lump started and pour it into the pit..

When the pig-pickin&#39; is done, just throw the cinder block into the back of the pickup and store it for next time.

Hush puppies, coleslaw, smoked beans, potato salad, bananna pudding, pies, cobblers.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

"Dave Bugg" wrote in news:piXei.45$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

you don&#39;t think the heat from the coals will make the blocks shatter? Block/brick always has some moisture in it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Cite:

48 cinder blocks (middle/top third page?)

SLOW heat + PIG = GOOD..

-- Oren

Hofstadter&#39;s Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter&#39;s Law.

Reply to
Oren

I&#39;ve never had it happen, Jim, and I&#39;ve never heard of it happening to anyone. It&#39;s real common to see this kind of rig in the southeast. The temps aren&#39;t all that high &#39;cause it&#39;s basically bbq -- low temp cooking rather than high temp grilling.

But, hey, it&#39;ll be Independence Day so fireworks are to be expected ;-)

Reply to
Dave Bugg