BBQ LP Regulator..?

Pigs ought to be proud. They are leaner; now, more than ever...
-- Oren

dang! now I have to name the pig :)
-- Oren

I've never roasted a pig, but I've attended a LOT of pig roasts, and based on the wit and intelligence of most of the people I've seen roasting the pig, I'm sure you'll do just fine! At least you're taking the time to think it through ahead of time -- I've been to a few that featured guys standing around a pickup truck with a butchered pig in the bed, scratching their heads and asking questions like, "Should we dig a pit? Do you know anyone with one of those, like, really big grills? Do you have to take off the skin?"
Jo Ann
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 14:06:25 -0000, "hillacc at yahoo.com"

I've been to "pig-pickens" at employee events.

Sounds like this pig was happenstance, and they wonder what to do. I slightly mention a pigrosst to Bubba and his eyes resembles a slot machine :-))

Forget the pit in Las Vegas/Mohave rock soil. Rentals are ridiculous. The butcher shop - great folks!!
What was the favorite side dish?
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

It is simple to create a temporary pig pit. Just stack cinder block in a 3-sided configuration about 40" high. Make it long enough and wide enough to comfortably hold the hog. Lay a steel grate on top.
If you are going to do it like in the Carolina region, you want to pre-burn hardwood down to coals. For this, make a seperate burn pit similar to the pig pit, but much smaller.
A reasonable substitue is to use hardwood lump charcoal.
Wrap the split hog in chicken wire, in order to hold it together when you turn the hog.
Start up a good fire in the pit until you've got a good bed of coals. Lump charcoal will eliminate the need to do a pre-burn; all you need to do is to get the lump started and pour it into the pit..
When the pig-pickin' is done, just throw the cinder block into the back of the pickup and store it for next time.

Hush puppies, coleslaw, smoked beans, potato salad, bananna pudding, pies, cobblers.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

you don't think the heat from the coals will make the blocks shatter? Block/brick always has some moisture in it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Cite: http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html
48 cinder blocks (middle/top third page?)
SLOW heat + PIG = GOOD..
-- Oren
Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Jim Yanik wrote:

I've never had it happen, Jim, and I've never heard of it happening to anyone. It's real common to see this kind of rig in the southeast. The temps aren't all that high 'cause it's basically bbq -- low temp cooking rather than high temp grilling.
But, hey, it'll be Independence Day so fireworks are to be expected ;-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Nope, it does not get hot enough. The coals are pre-burned and shoveled under the pig. The block never sees 200 degrees. I've done a few like this and I know another half dozen guys that do it on a regular basis. The springs from a bed set makes a good rack for the meat.
wrote in message

So,you pile up charcoal,light it,and only shovel it into the block "pit" after it's ashed over? (it's still really hot,though..)
I thought the OP said he fired up the coal IN the "pit",meaning it's definitely going to get hotter than 212degF in there,way hotter.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Charcoal? Charcoal is for sissies. We burn wood to coals in a burn barrel, Then the hot coals are shoveled under the meat. The coals are on the ground. The block is just a barrier to keep the heat in. The top is usually something like tin from a roof, or even cardboard since you want a temperature of 225 to 250. I never checked the temperature of the blocks.
I know you have doubts, but in the area from Virginia, through the Carolinas into Georgia, there are thousands of pigs roasted just that way every year. Take a peek at this setup http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/whole_hog.htm
And see what kind of event it can be here http://www.bobinga.com/hth/hth.htm

You hear this at Championship BBQ events. The folks really have their method and defend it whole heartedly.
Not a lot of wood out here in the desert :(
-- Oren
Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

The wood to coals is traditional in the southeast. Straight wood can be overwhelming and give off creosote if not burned properly. Some people thing you need clouds of billowing smoke, but in reality, all you need is that thin blue smoke that you barely see.
In the desert, use what you can get. I've heard of people paying very high prices for wood out there.

This is the method I plan to use. It calls for the charcol to be started in the center of the pit and once hot, moved into each of the four corners. This provides an in-direct heat for slower cooking.
Samples of others (nice folks) posted on the site.
http://cuban-christmas.com/hall_o_fame.html
http://cuban-christmas.com/hall_o_fame2.html
http://cuban-christmas.com/hall_o_fame3.html
http://cuban-christmas.com/hall_o_fame4.html -- Oren
Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html
Another poster figured or previously used this plan.

Always a debate (:-) Wood? No Wood coals?

I have some mesquite chunks... if needed.

No galvanized.... Use steel or aluminum

See link above.

Which pickup?

Collard greens, yellow crook-necked squash, fired okra, baked beans, sweet tea, sliced cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, corn on the cob, deviled eggs, what is missing?
The pig is officially ordered. 50#, due on the 2nd of July.
-- Oren
Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Oren wrote:

Yeah, that's the idea. You really don't need the aluminum sheet for reflective heat, though. Just coals on the bare ground.

The preburn allows for the Yucky Stuff (technical term) -- resins, volatile oils, water, etc. -- which can create unpleasant flavors in the meat to be burned off. You can even use very green wood if you preburn.

I prefer apple, peach, pear, or pecan. I don't like mesquite for bbq. If not watched carefully, it can add nasty bitterness to the meat. Mesquite is good for high heat grilling, though. Mesquite lump charcoal is not near as bad as wood chunks because of being carbonized.

Good point. Same thing for the grate where you could use expanded metal.

GAWD NO!!!!!. Lighter fluid is not needed and is just plain yucky (technical term). Use a couple of chimney starters. When the fire is going, dump the lit lump onto the pile of unlit lump.

Why the pickup of the guy who owns the blocks :-)

It don't matter. If anyone complains about that spread, tell to go suck on a lit M80 :-D

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

In the desert here; we a wee bit shy on wood, so I will look for some hardwood charcoal ...

It makes a nice steak, nice heat and searing of the steak.

I use one chimney now, but I will certainly need a second for the roast.

Mine may stay in place for awhile :-)

Bubba said he has to take a day off after the meal ..
-- Oren

Favorite side dish of most of the pig roasts I've been to was Budweiser. Second to that, probably baked beans, potato salad, and any kind of bread (hush puppies, cornbread, corn muffins, plain old sliced bread).
Jo Ann
On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 21:10:51 -0000, "hillacc at yahoo.com"

One more thing... Iced Cold Watermelon! ( I really like skillet fried yellow squash ) I feel like a kid at a family reunion - heh!
More than enough dishes now (G).
-- Oren

We called here Lucille! She was a fine 57.2 pound pig from Iowa.
Mighty tasty... -- Oren