BBQ LP Regulator..?

I suspect I have a bad BBQ LP regulator, just not sure.

Only about the fourth tank used since new. I understand they go bad.

With the tank, regulator and hose removed and away from the grill I turned the tank with the regulator and hose in place on and no indication of gas/smell.

I close the tank, removed the regulator and opened to tank valve, still no smell and I figured to tank will not allow gas out without the regulator nipple piece in the tank valve.

I was able to blow air through the regulator and hose ( correct flow direction ). I don't know.

Do they stick open / closed? Should air travel through the regulator if I buy the new one (before install) ?

I don't guess the tank valve would be bad. This started when the exchange tank went on, but only on the second use of the grill.

The burners are in good/clean shape, so I foresee a regulator :(

-- Oren

Oren

I have had both valve failures and regulator failures:(

Ideally try your grill on a different tank, if it works you have a bad valve..

Also make CERTAIN your burners and lines are clear. spiders love to nest in them.

Reply to
hallerb

Yeh I had one that I had to fuss with that would stick. Found out that I had to not turn the burners off but turn it off at the tank then close them or I would have to take it off the tank, put it back on, tap on it etc... Finally wrote the grill manu and they sent me a replacement that had to include the burner set because the hose was crimped on.

Reply to
Meat Plow

New tanks do go bad. New tanks have OPD (overfill protection devices) and they sometimes stick and block the release of propane. Give the tank a sharp rap and it may loosen, or try another tank. Yes, it must be connected to a fitting for the valve to open also. That is another precaution to avoid a burst of propane with no connection on it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had one I traded in full, with a note bad valve, just to be rid of it.

Reply to
hallerb

It was the tank valve. I found the receipt and returned the tank for another exchange (no extra tank for a test). They commented that this does happen often.

So the grill is grilling!

Thanks all.

-- Oren

Oren

so what time is dinner? I prefer my t bones rare, with baked potato add lots of sour cream.:)

Reply to
hallerb

Glad to hear you have a resolution.

Pick up a spare tank. They run out at the most inopportune times.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was thinking the same meal, but doll the tater up with plenty of butter/chives/sour cream/black pepper and salt. eeehh doggy..

-- Oren

Oren

I've committed myself to cook a whole hog (40-50#) for the 4th of July. I have my plan of attack, but have never cooked one myself.

Experience? Comments? Favorite Marinade? Spices?

-- Oren

Oren

Meat Plow

You WIN!!! This is my exact "attack plan".

Just few material things needed....

I lived in Miami for about 10 years, love the food..

I recently found the site.

-- Oren

Oren

I would skip the whole hog until you gain some experience. Do pork shoulders and ribs instead.

There's a section on whole hog.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

I'll be over for dinner on the 4th.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks.. I have three outside cookers. Grill and two meat smokers. I seldom cook in the kitchen, as I enjoy outside.

In the past 22 years we enjoy a wide variety of food cooked outdoors.

The whole hog IS the only thing not taken on, yet...

I appreciate the comments and will look at the link..

-- Oren

Oren

Whenever I did a large (200+ person) Medieval feast I always included a roast pig. I never cooked the pig myself, I just had the place supplying the animal roast it. I'd send some guys to pick it up with a fancy tray/litter for it, and then they'd carry it into the hall and the crowd would go nuts! I'd recommend having the supplier roast it for you.

Reply to
<h>

I&#39;ll call the local butcher :)

-- Oren

"Well, it doesn&#39;t happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."

Reply to
Oren

Enjoy. Just get that skin nice and crispy...... dang, now I&#39;m drooling all over the keyboard :-)

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Makes a good local fundraising event, huh?

Meat Plow WON. He figured out my attack plan....

I&#39;ve already delegated the help....

Thanks.

-- Oren

"Well, it doesn&#39;t happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."

Reply to
Oren

Crisp up the skin last (final turn), few critical minutes.

I have the utmost regard for the delegated assistant.

Soooey! Here Piggie Piggie :-))