BBQ LP Regulator..?

Page 1 of 3
I suspect I have a bad BBQ LP regulator, just not sure.
Only about the fourth tank used since new. I understand they go bad.
With the tank, regulator and hose removed and away from the grill I turned the tank with the regulator and hose in place on and no indication of gas/smell.
I close the tank, removed the regulator and opened to tank valve, still no smell and I figured to tank will not allow gas out without the regulator nipple piece in the tank valve.
I was able to blow air through the regulator and hose ( correct flow direction ). I don't know.
Do they stick open / closed? Should air travel through the regulator if I buy the new one (before install) ?
I don't guess the tank valve would be bad. This started when the exchange tank went on, but only on the second use of the grill.
The burners are in good/clean shape, so I foresee a regulator :( -- Oren

I have had both valve failures and regulator failures:(
Ideally try your grill on a different tank, if it works you have a bad valve..
Also make CERTAIN your burners and lines are clear. spiders love to nest in them.
On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:37:13 -0700, Oren wrote:

Yeh I had one that I had to fuss with that would stick. Found out that I had to not turn the burners off but turn it off at the tank then close them or I would have to take it off the tank, put it back on, tap on it etc... Finally wrote the grill manu and they sent me a replacement that had to include the burner set because the hose was crimped on.

New tanks do go bad. New tanks have OPD (overfill protection devices) and they sometimes stick and block the release of propane. Give the tank a sharp rap and it may loosen, or try another tank. Yes, it must be connected to a fitting for the valve to open also. That is another precaution to avoid a burst of propane with no connection on it.

I had one I traded in full, with a note bad valve, just to be rid of it.

It was the tank valve. I found the receipt and returned the tank for another exchange (no extra tank for a test). They commented that this does happen often.
So the grill is grilling!
Thanks all.
-- Oren

so what time is dinner? I prefer my t bones rare, with baked potato add lots of sour cream.:)
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:47:12 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I was thinking the same meal, but doll the tater up with plenty of butter/chives/sour cream/black pepper and salt. eeehh doggy..
-- Oren
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:47:12 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I've committed myself to cook a whole hog (40-50#) for the 4th of July. I have my plan of attack, but have never cooked one myself.
Experience? Comments? Favorite Marinade? Spices? -- Oren
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:26:51 -0700, Oren wrote:

http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

You WIN!!! This is my exact "attack plan".
Just few material things needed....
I lived in Miami for about 10 years, love the food..
I recently found the site.
-- Oren
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 12:46:59 -0700, Oren wrote:

I'll be over for dinner on the 4th.

I'll call the local butcher :) -- Oren
Oren wrote:

I would skip the whole hog until you gain some experience. Do pork shoulders and ribs instead.
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
There's a section on whole hog.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Thanks.. I have three outside cookers. Grill and two meat smokers. I seldom cook in the kitchen, as I enjoy outside.
In the past 22 years we enjoy a wide variety of food cooked outdoors.
The whole hog IS the only thing not taken on, yet...
I appreciate the comments and will look at the link..
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

Enjoy. Just get that skin nice and crispy...... dang, now I'm drooling all over the keyboard :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Crisp up the skin last (final turn), few critical minutes.
I have the utmost regard for the delegated assistant.
Soooey! Here Piggie Piggie :-)) -- Oren

I always feel bad for the pig:( Roasted the whole one looks too much like the live animal......
tasty but sad.
Now steaks dont look like a cow:) Yummy:):)
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:47:31 -0000, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

The butcher will crack the spine, split the snout too butterfly fly the animal.
I'll put a half apple in each jaw<G>

Yes sir! -- Oren
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Just keep in mind that that pig's single greatest accomplishment of his existence is about to be fulfilled. That will be one proud piggy. :-D
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com