Battery Warranties

Page 6 of 6
Winston_Smith wrote:

We would have had a few cosmetic problems but nothing drastic. Probably the greatest inconvenience was to our clients. Most were running AIX on RS6000 boxes that were too old to run the distro IBM patched.
The Unix time thing will have a lot more impact but I don't plan to be coding when the industry gets around to panicking for that one. IPv6 is also getting off the ground with all the grace of a herniated turkey.
On 8/7/2013 9:13 PM, rbowman wrote:

Heck, you was workin on dat big ol stuff, I were fixin cumputers fo all dem po folks. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 07 Aug 2013 20:13:44 -0600, rbowman wrote:

The fact that my employer was running Win3 on DOS in the year 2000, tells you a lot about how up to date and modern their hardware was going into it. I designed and built those systems - hardware, optics, and software - when Win3 was the latest and greatest thing. Luckily they had a production glitch and so no product to test. I was able to run a simulation over a couple weeks bridging a synthetic Y2K and prove the hardware and my software wouldn't be a problem. They didn't replace the systems until 2010. Company motto was something like yesterday's technology tomorrow.

With any luck, one of the meteor strikes will happen and spare us problems like that.
Would be nice. I can't get SP3, which is needed for some programs. I've gone up one side and down the other, and have not found a way to make it work.
On 7/28/2013 9:19 AM, dadiOH wrote:

If you turn on Automatic Updates, windows will search for updates and install them including SP3.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id $ Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the operating system. This update also includes a small number of new functionalities, which do not significantly change customers' experience with the operating system. If you're updating just one computer, please visit Windows Update at http://update.microsoft.com .
Note: Customers running Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System (RMS) are advised to install a hotfix for a Microsoft Dynamics RMS issue prior to installing Windows XP SP3.
DO NOT CLICK DOWNLOAD IF YOU ARE UPDATING JUST ONE COMPUTER: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows XP Service Pack 3 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature in Windows XP. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you.
The Microsoft Download Center site is your only authorized web source for downloading a licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 3. To report a website offering unlicensed copies of Windows XP SP3 for download, please send e-mail to: snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com or visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx .

On 7/28/2013 7:03 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Try this. Ignore the bit about it being for IT Professionals, it's the same Service Package, with a more capabilities you'll probably never need. Just go to the the Install Instructions. Note: This is for the 32 bit Service pack.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id $
Hmm, that could work. As of today (July 29, 2013) i've made such a mess out of this PC, I'm scared to even do anything.
On 7/28/2013 9:33 PM, David J. Hughes wrote:

You don't "make it work", you just download and install it.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I find it curious that his idea of "fixing" some existing problem that developed on a machine that was satisfactory for a long time - is to try to ADD a service pack.
If it worked to his satisfaction the last couple years, clearly the pack was not necessary. And unlikely to "fix" whatever problem developed in the original install over time. He wanted to go back, not change to something new.
It's one more variable added to a machine that doesn't need more confusion.
I'm amazed how many people decide to "do something" and hope for majick to happen. Of course this is Stormin's second if not third trip down this road in under five years.
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 05:43:25 -0400, Stormin Mormon

The DO still support it.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements
Go 32 bit even if your box is 64 bit. Someday many apps will be 64 bit only but we ain't there yet.
On Sunday, July 28, 2013 12:11:02 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:

Windows 32-bit has a access limit of 3-3.5Gb so you should go with 64-bit regardless.

I used to get security updates every week for XP. As of about 3 months ago, I rarely get them. Is that because they are dropping support?

No, they finally perfected it and closed every possible entry. XP will now run trouble free for decades.
My guess the hackers and now concentrating on W7 and W8. They go where the volume is and can have the most devastating effects. Mac and Linux are not trouble free, they just don't have the installed base to attract as many hacker fans.

Whew! That's good to know. Thanks.

BTW, you were kidding and so was I up above.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've had no issue at all with Duracell warranty replacement of an item damaged by leaking batteries. I called them, they sent some paperwork and a prepaid mailer pack, I sent the device in with leaking batteries in place, and a couple weeks later they sent me a check for the cost of replacing the device, along with a coupon for new batteries. No complaints.
I did send in a leak damaged device with Duras, and they were good. I'll try and get a contact phone number, Monday.
On 7/28/2013 8:49 AM, Pete C. wrote:

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 4:06:40 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well then...quit your bitchin' until you know otherwise...