Battery Warranties

The fact that my employer was running Win3 on DOS in the year 2000, tells you a lot about how up to date and modern their hardware was going into it. I designed and built those systems - hardware, optics, and software - when Win3 was the latest and greatest thing. Luckily they had a production glitch and so no product to test. I was able to run a simulation over a couple weeks bridging a synthetic Y2K and prove the hardware and my software wouldn't be a problem. They didn't replace the systems until 2010. Company motto was something like yesterday's technology tomorrow.

With any luck, one of the meteor strikes will happen and spare us problems like that.

Reply to
Bony Moronie

Which are cuter?

Reply to
Rebel1

Energizer did send a postpaid card, and sent back the batteries that were affected.

Duracell, didn't have enough leakers to send back.

Rayovac promised to replace the leaky cells, and their reply is still in the post, I'd guess. They didn't say if they were sending batteries, coupons, or debit card.

Harbor Freight. Had a box of six D cells, all leaked. They swapped them out for new, on the spot in the retail store.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The cute thing was they later changed that to replace any flashlight damaged. Looks the same at a casual glance especially after you are used to the old one for a decade. But ohlala, what a difference. That was about the time transistor radios were getting common at 50-100 bucks a pop in early 60s money.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

yeah, and today a good flashlight starts around $50 :/ what a difference 50 years makes...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

My LED Mini Maglite is on my side whenever I'm wearing trousers/jeans and it replaced the incandescent Mini Maglite when the LED flashlight first came out years ago for a price of around $30.00. I'd carried a standard Mini Maglite on my belt since the mid 1980's and the LED light has never let me down unless I fail to keep it fed. I have managed to tear the stitches out of the Nylon holster which is the only problem I've had with it in all the years of fairly rough usage. I still have a well worn incandescent Mini Maglite in my tool bag. I've had folks ask me if my little Maglite was a gun and a bank employee asked me if I had a collapsible baton on my belt. I still have a pager on my belt too which confuses a lot of young people who aren't familiar with them but my pager number has been the same for 23 years and I've had one hanging off my belt since the mid 1970's. No, I'm not still using a rotary dial desk phone but I still don't have one of those smart ass phones which I've seen all the youngsters walk around with their noses stuck in it instead of watching where they're going. Darn it! Being an anachronism is hard work. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

CY: Was that the Opalec conversion? The one with the little red that tells you the battery is low? I bought one of those at Johnstone for $30 when they came out. Later got the one watt Terralux, which I really like.

I'd carried a

CY: I remember the time I blew a filament bulb for my mini mag during a power cut, I was helping wire a generator into a furnace for a friend. Fortunately, it was day time so I had enough light to get out, and get to my spare bulbs. I've also learned how useful strap on head lamps can be. Then I got bifocals. When I change from distance to near, I tilt my head, and now the light is some wehre else. Getting old is rough.

I have managed to

CY: I rip up cell phone holders. I've tried stitching, Arrow Staple tacker, gorilla tape and other assorted ways to put it back together. Arrow staple tacker works best, pound down the pointy tips of the staples.

I still have a

CY: I've been asked that, about my cell phone; "you're not carrying a gun, are you?"

I still have a pager on my belt too

CY: I kept my pager for many years, figure it gave me the chance to choose who to use my cell minutes. After a while, i figured everyone was using cell phones, and put my cell number on the answering machine tape. So far, no one's abused it.

No, I'm not still using a rotary dial

CY: I'll admit, I've never used those video screen phones with the icons that slide left and right. Some day I'll have to ask someone to show me how. If you hand me one, I can't make calls on it. Just don't know how.

Darn it! Being an anachronism

CY: Arthrits strength pills, and....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, with a $50 flashlight these days you can actually see where you're going as compared to those 2 D cell gems from the 60's that cast a pale yellow light for about 15 minutes if they worked at all. I have seen some improvement in the last 50 years and flashlights are one of them.

Reply to
rbowman

A nylon MiniMag is just the right size for those nasty little spring batons. Just saying...

Reply to
rbowman

A guy that works for me is developing an app for thise damn things. I ask him how he's doing every now and then, but I really don't want to know. I was involved when we started doing the tablet development but I draw the line at smart phones. Mu phone make phone calls. End of story. I think it might have some sort of calendar and maybe a rudimentary game but what do you want from the cheapest LG flip at RadioShack?

Reply to
rbowman

Ah, those were the good old days. Two Neveready carbon zinc cells, and a PR-2 bulb that didn't do much. It was that, or candles.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Does the refrigerant itself show up, or do you have to add in a tracer?

Reply to
rbowman

Have to add dye to the system.

Refrigerant systems contain lubricating oil also, sometimes a tech can spot oil that escapes with the refrigerant.

They used to sell red dye, to add. Most guys use UV, now days.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I use a combo red/UV dye added to the compressor oil and it must circulate through the system for a time dependent on the size of the system. A residential or small commercial system takes no time at all but a big system on a rack may take a few days to get the dye spread all through the system. I can shine my UV light at the sight glass on big commercial compressors to see if there is already dye in the system which causes a bright glow from the sight glass. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The refrigerant isn't naturally UV fluorescent but at least in the automotive world most systems get dye added the first time they're serviced as a matter of course (at least that's what I was told when I asked a local repair shop owner after he recharged the AC in one of my vehicles; since it'd run low but was 14 years old, I wanted to know if he'd used dye when he recharged it so if I had a problem down the road I could use a black light to see what the issue might be. He stated "all our R-134a has dye in it.")

I'm not sure if it works the same way with the refrigerants used in stationary applications or if it's deemed not to be worth it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've used UV dye in vehicle AC systems too. It's especially useful for finding leaking seals on compressor drive shafts. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ah, that's called the "I hope your wallet is ready for this" diagnosis. Only one worse I can think of is a leaking evaporator, assuming that your car is one where it takes about 13 hours labor to pull the dashboard and get to it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Before my friend GB passed away, I helped him repair the AC in his daughter's Honda. After testing the thing I figured there was a restriction in the liquid line going to the evaporator so I looked up the specs on The Web and saw it had an expansion valve. We had to remove the glove box and other stuff to get to the evaporator and change out the defective expansion valve which costed $12.00. After a triple vacuum and recharge with 134a, the little car could turn the interior into a refrigerator. We figured a shop would have charged her at least $400.00 for the repair which was quite time consuming. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas