Battery Warranties

Page 4 of 6
On Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:19:20 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You're not going to make any PC running XP into a "screamer" by doing whatever! (the prices from your source are almost as good as mine!)
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 07:49:39 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa

Everything is relative. OK, it may not scream, but at least it will moan louder. And boot in under 20 minutes.

even waste your time fooling with it.
On Sunday, July 28, 2013 3:28:54 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9038c21f-5184-468c-bf5b-9f54bca70c5c/windows-7-min-system-requirements

So go back to it, doesn't matter if MS "supports" it or not.
Consider...
MS has been spewing out DOS/OS programs since the early 80s when they got lucky and got an IBM contract. I never used their DOS systems but have used Win 3.1, 95A, 95B, 98, XP and 8. They all needed "security updates". IOW, over the last 20 or so years, MS couldn't come up with a secure, error free OS out of the box. What makes you think their updates are any better?
My XP is SP3 and the only reason it is is because certain programs I use needed it. Other than that, I have never installed any MS updates. And when the free Win 8.1 becomes available I won't be getting it either; my Win 8 looks and functions like XP. Main difference between the two (on my box) is that Win8 sucks up 16 GB - SIXTEEN GIGABYTES! - of disk space compared to 1 GB for XP. IIRC, Win7 uses about 7-8 GB.
Can you say, "Bloat?".
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Sunday, July 28, 2013 8:19:47 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:

...and when they had to write compact code because memory was limited...they did it! There were/are some nifty DOS games that worked on 8Mb of RAM and a 30Mb HDD! Note Megabyte!

Just FYI. If you used Win3.1, you used DOS. Win3_1 was not an operating system, just a graphical interface on DOS. You had to first have DOS on the machine to install Win.
Win95 was the first complete in itself OS and even then you could find a directory called something like DOS7,

Sort of right. Win95 actually rode on top of DOS as well. Cuter shell, but I digress.
--
http://bughunter.it-mate.co.uk/cacti.jpg

Turns out there weren't enough leaky Energizers to bother (two). Same with the Duracells (two or three). Rayovac did write back, asked a couple technical questions and promised to send replacements.
Stormin:
Here in Canada the CBC has a show called "Marketplace" where some investigative reporters investigate marketing claims and report on problems people are having with merchandise they've purchased.
In one show they investigated batteries, and the result they came up with is that paying extra for Duracell or Energizer batteries was a waste of money since all alkaline batteries use the same mature technology, and since the size of the battery is fixed, they all contain the same amount of energy.
So, instead of buying Duracell or Energizer, maybe just go to your local dollar store and buy five AA no-name batteries for $1.
That way, if they leak on you, it's not worth the bother to try and get them replaced under the manufacturer's warranty.
--
nestork

On 8/5/2013 11:17 PM, nestork wrote:

I discovered long ago that the best policy is to remove the batteries from equipment that's not used every day and put them in a Ziploc bag keeping them with the gear. ^_^
TDD
It's also wise to have two set of batteries. I'm remembering the one time I was helping with a haloween show. I was on the third floor of a rather tall building, and rather ancient. My walkie talkie batteries went dead, and the nearest replacements were in the work van. That was a heck of a lot of stairs up and down.
The battery makers say storage in the refrigerator is good, freezer is not advised. I've been considering getting some storage bins, and put my battery storage in my refrigerator.

On 8/6/2013 7:15 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a little dorm room fridge I once used for batteries but the guy I worked kept putting beer in it. o_O
TDD
Ah, some guys don't have their priorities in the right order. Batteries are far more important.

On 8/6/2013 10:09 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've never drunk a beer or had so much as a glass of wine in my life and I had an arrogant, condescending, insulting doctor ask he how much I drank. He assumed I drank alcohol because I was in the county hospital. My roommate, that they killed, drank alcohol by the gallon, took illegal drugs and couldn't get it through his addled brain that they were going to test his blood and urine when he was in the hospital. He complained that the doctors wouldn't prescribe any pain medication for him and I couldn't get him to understand it was because any pain medication would cause a very bad reaction when mixed with alcohol. Heck, it's a long story and I get very angry when I retell it. o_O
TDD
Thanks, that's a good idea. Might save a pile of money, over the years. In my part of the world, there is a big price difference between the name brands, and the off brands. I get coupons, now and again. But for the most part, I do buy the off brands.
The Dollar Tree near me has two alkaline AA cells for a dollar, which is OK. Often, I can do better price than that.
The leakers I'm sending back are C and D size. Which cost more like a dollar and a half per cell. With those sizes, there's also other places that sell them less cost. Harbor Freight, Advance Auto Parts, and so on.
I can't remember where I saw the article, on the web. Someone did test various brands of battery in digital cameras. Found that there were some brands that lasted a lot longer.
Most of my battery use is rechargables, now days. I've gotten some NiMH cells for my digicam and mini mag. I use Powergenix for my computer speaker.
On 8/6/2013 12:17 AM, nestork wrote:

9 volts for smoke alarms AA for carbon monoxide detector AA cells for caller ID telephone AAA for caller ID box AA for clocks AA for digital thermostat AAA for remote reading thermometer D for mag light D for battery power fan

On 8/6/2013 12:17 AM, nestork wrote:

IME it's not "if" but "when" they leak on you.
I've quit using alkalines altogether, save for 9V batteries and one D-cell flashlight, and completely converted everything AA or AAA cells is now using Eneloops. I've had too many leaking incidents in the past few months... (I think one was Energizer and one was a set of GP)
My theory is that the tech is *so* mature that the companies are trying to "optimize" them to make them less expensive to produce, making them more likely to fail then they used to be.
nate

Same here. First Eneloops, then Sony when my 2 Eneloop chargers got fried when my basement flooded. The Sony's seem just as good, the chargers are smarter, and they were cheaper. I don't even use my D cell Maglites any more. Just AA Maglites. All the light I need from batteries. Just don't get to carry a combo flashlight/club any more.
Have you tried the battery size adaptors? I bought some, years ago, and they did work for my tryout. I don't actively use the anysizers, but they are available if I need them some day.
Ebay, AA to D battery adapter, about 600 hits.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pcs-New-Cell-Battery-Adaptor-Converter-Case-AA-2-to-D-Size-Battery-Holder-Case-/180900537903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1e83262f
Some hold one or two AA cells, for longer run time.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-x-2-AA-to-D-Cell-Battery-Plastic-Adaptor-Converter-Holder-Case-2A-Size-White-/130962306619?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item1e7df6363b
Hong Kong might be better quality than China.