Battery Warranties

Page 3 of 6
Energizer did send a postpaid card, and sent back the batteries that were affected.
Duracell, didn't have enough leakers to send back.
Rayovac promised to replace the leaky cells, and their reply is still in the post, I'd guess. They didn't say if they were sending batteries, coupons, or debit card.
Harbor Freight. Had a box of six D cells, all leaked. They swapped them out for new, on the spot in the retail store.
H.I.T.man wrote:

You haven't seen the offerings in the local Linux users group...
Anno Domini 2013-07-29, rbowman was caught saying:

No LUGs in my part of the Cowboy state.
--
H.I.T.man
"It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer or the baker, that
H.I.T.man wrote:

Well, first you have to have computers...
Anno Domini 2013-07-29, rbowman was caught saying:

We have two-story outhouses ...
--
H.I.T.man
"Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it."
H.I.T.man wrote:

I know. I've been to Egbert. It might not have been Egbert but it was one of those little towns east of Cheyenne. My log book was still back in Nebraska when I pulled into a little truckstop. It was Saturday night and the place was full of shitfaced bull haulers. I've been in some rough places but I looked around and decided to take my chances with the Port of Entry.
otoh, I sort of like Buffalo. Nice little ice cream joint in the park.
The Daring Dufas wrote:

That beats the sick lizard SuSE uses.

My son prefers freeBSD, but he says that PCBSD is more user friendly.
On 7/28/2013 6:59 PM, misanthrope wrote:

Perhaps it's the old geek in me since I once had to program equipment in binary or BCD. Oh yea, a lot of switch flipping to input anything. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Luckily I've never done financial or corporate IT stuff so I've only met BCD in passing.
On 7/28/2013 9:28 PM, rbowman wrote:

I did a lot of it as a bench tech in a repair depot on early digitally controlled electronic equipment, USB was science fiction. I'm actually starting to see mini USB ports on the latest Cisco routers and managed switches right next to the RS232 console port. ^_^
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

RS who? If I never solder up another DB-25 I won't miss it. Ditto Centronics connectors. Ribbon cable and IDC's were a step forward for mankind.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Stormin might be able to cope with Ubuntu. He might even be able to get his beloved OE to run under Wine. I've been using Linux since the days when Slackware required about three boxes of 3 1/4" floppies and this is being sent from KNode.
Unfortunately, I'm a programmer and our customer base prefers Windows. We tried to promote a Linux solution after the cost of AIX boxes became ridiculous compared to generic x86 boxes, but the fish weren't biting.
I've been doing this since the System 360/30 days and all I have learned from the experience is some OS's suck more than others but all of them are more or less usable.
I can't remember who said it, but doesn't W7 take three gig of RAM? I've got about one. I was perfectly happy with XP, wish they would continue to support it. Also happy eiwh OE.
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On 7/28/2013 12:37 AM, rbowman wrote:

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 05:43:25 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Forget W7 then. Some motherboards won't support it either. You may want to consider upgrading the ram anyway. Performance will increase considerably and it is not all that expensive. 4 Gig works great.
On Sunday, July 28, 2013 6:52:07 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

RAM is only "reasonable" with present technology (DDR3). Try pricing DDR or DDR2 anywhere! As far as old stuff running W7...I have a 9 yr old Dell 8400 P-4,3GHz with 1.5Gb of DDR2 and it runs very nicely.
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 05:13:35 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa

Yes, Everything else gets cheap when most people don't use it anymore, but I've found RAM to be an exception. How did the makers and sellers do that?

On Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:34:19 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

AFAIC it has to do with price fixing...either you pay or consider buying a newer PC. It tells you to get 4X what you think you need at the time! The cheapest/reliable place I have found for tested/used RAM http://www.oempcworld.com/OEMPCworld-com/200pin.html

When it is not used in huge quantities most manufacturers stop making it - which puts the price on what is still available way up - because they don't make enough of it to keep the price per unit down.
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 05:13:35 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa

So you think $10.99 a gig is unreasonable? Even $16.99 is not so bad http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?catr0
DDR is $17. Making an old computer into a screamer for $50 is not a bad deal, IMO.