Battery Warranties

So you think $10.99 a gig is unreasonable? Even $16.99 is not so bad

DDR is $17. Making an old computer into a screamer for $50 is not a bad deal, IMO.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No, they finally perfected it and closed every possible entry. XP will now run trouble free for decades.

My guess the hackers and now concentrating on W7 and W8. They go where the volume is and can have the most devastating effects. Mac and Linux are not trouble free, they just don't have the installed base to attract as many hacker fans.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You're not going to make any PC running XP into a "screamer" by doing whatever! (the prices from your source are almost as good as mine!)

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Just FYI. If you used Win3.1, you used DOS. Win3_1 was not an operating system, just a graphical interface on DOS. You had to first have DOS on the machine to install Win.

Win95 was the first complete in itself OS and even then you could find a directory called something like DOS7,

Reply to
Winston_Smith

The DO still support it.

Reply to
Winston_Smith

Only problem with the idea is "you can lead a Windows user to Linux, but you can't made 'em think".

Reply to
H.I.T.man

Everything is relative. OK, it may not scream, but at least it will moan louder. And boot in under 20 minutes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I like PC-BSD, it's fairly bulletproof and very hard to crash. It's getting better all the time as more apps will work with it. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Go 32 bit even if your box is 64 bit. Someday many apps will be 64 bit only but we ain't there yet.

Reply to
rbowman

Windows 32-bit has a access limit of 3-3.5Gb so you should go with 64-bit regardless.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Stormin might be able to cope with Ubuntu. He might even be able to get his beloved OE to run under Wine. I've been using Linux since the days when Slackware required about three boxes of 3 1/4" floppies and this is being sent from KNode.

Unfortunately, I'm a programmer and our customer base prefers Windows. We tried to promote a Linux solution after the cost of AIX boxes became ridiculous compared to generic x86 boxes, but the fish weren't biting.

I've been doing this since the System 360/30 days and all I have learned from the experience is some OS's suck more than others but all of them are more or less usable.

Reply to
rbowman

Whew! That's good to know. Thanks.

BTW, you were kidding and so was I up above.

Reply to
micky

Will definitely run with win7 (and win8)

Reply to
clare

I use Agent for usenet.

Reply to
clare

If the system/device is not on the Win7 compatability list, don't even waste your time fooling with it.

Reply to
clare

When it is not used in huge quantities most manufacturers stop making it - which puts the price on what is still available way up - because they don't make enough of it to keep the price per unit down.

Reply to
clare

Looked at FBSD a couple of times but decided to stay with Linux since I am happy. Been pleased with Linux (mostly Debian Debian-based) distros for a dozen years. #! is my favourite.

Reply to
H.I.T.man

Some of the systems I service have imbedded Linux if not imbedded XP or CE. I suppose I Like PC-BSD because I'm a little devil instead of a penguin. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I did send in a leak damaged device with Duras, and they were good. I'll try and get a contact phone number, Monday.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gotta admit that was good - Tux is cuter ;)

Reply to
H.I.T.man