Battery Warranties

Page 1 of 6
Saturday July 27, 2013
Went to the shelf, and found some leaky batteries. The folks on alt surv will find this to be no surprise.
Fire up the computer, and try to contact the three companies. Energizer and Rayovac let me fill out the form, and will contact me some time via email.
Duracell insisted to know the month and year of my birth which is none of thier damn business. I put "something" in. They now say I'm not eligible to contact them. After a long search, I found they are part of Proctor and Gamble, and got a mailing adress. I'll see if I can find a customer service number, and phone them on Monday. At present, I'm not all that impressed with Duracell customer no-service.
I had a system crash, and using a far less friendly email program to post to usenet. I'm not a happy computer. Wishing for XP and Outlook Express, back.
. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 19:30:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The question is why do you have so much battery problems. The only ones I've ever had go bad were way beyond any reasonable shelf life.
Are these the one-use batteries you insist on trying to recharge?
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 16:55:38 -0700, Winston_Smith

Or batteries stored in a hot humid environment????
I have not had 2 leakers in the lat 20 years.
says...

I have a box of Everready alkalines you can look at, still in the shrink wrap and within the date on the battery. About a third of the batteries in the box have sprung leaks. I sure wouldn't put them in my equipment. I'll send them back to the company if I can find an address.
It's sure a far cry from 50 years ago when EverReady guaranteed that if their batteries leaked they would repair or replace any equipment damaged by the leak. I got four new geiger counters that way. ;>
I'm guessing that you can find their adress on the web. Or, maybe on a new package of batteries from the same company. I've also heard them called "never ready" batteries. Or "BADderies."
As of this moment, Rayovac has emailed me back. Wanted to know the date code. Second email wanted to know the batch code in dot matrix printing near the positive end of the battery. Energizer sent a post paid return label, and I sent the leaky Energizers back. Duracell wanted to know the month and year of my birth. I wing it and guess and put "something". Now they say I'm not suitable to communicate with them.
On 8/3/2013 1:58 AM, Larry wrote:

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 6:01:49 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote: Now

No "top poster" is...

The cute thing was they later changed that to replace any flashlight damaged. Looks the same at a casual glance especially after you are used to the old one for a decade. But ohlala, what a difference. That was about the time transistor radios were getting common at 50-100 bucks a pop in early 60s money.
On 09/12/2013 09:27 PM, Winston_Smith wrote:

yeah, and today a good flashlight starts around $50 :/ what a difference 50 years makes...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 9/13/2013 6:04 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

My LED Mini Maglite is on my side whenever I'm wearing trousers/jeans and it replaced the incandescent Mini Maglite when the LED flashlight first came out years ago for a price of around $30.00. I'd carried a standard Mini Maglite on my belt since the mid 1980's and the LED light has never let me down unless I fail to keep it fed. I have managed to tear the stitches out of the Nylon holster which is the only problem I've had with it in all the years of fairly rough usage. I still have a well worn incandescent Mini Maglite in my tool bag. I've had folks ask me if my little Maglite was a gun and a bank employee asked me if I had a collapsible baton on my belt. I still have a pager on my belt too which confuses a lot of young people who aren't familiar with them but my pager number has been the same for 23 years and I've had one hanging off my belt since the mid 1970's. No, I'm not still using a rotary dial desk phone but I still don't have one of those smart ass phones which I've seen all the youngsters walk around with their noses stuck in it instead of watching where they're going. Darn it! Being an anachronism is hard work. ^_^
TDD

CY: Was that the Opalec conversion? The one with the little red that tells you the battery is low? I bought one of those at Johnstone for $30 when they came out. Later got the one watt Terralux, which I really like.
I'd carried a

CY: I remember the time I blew a filament bulb for my mini mag during a power cut, I was helping wire a generator into a furnace for a friend. Fortunately, it was day time so I had enough light to get out, and get to my spare bulbs. I've also learned how useful strap on head lamps can be. Then I got bifocals. When I change from distance to near, I tilt my head, and now the light is some wehre else. Getting old is rough.
I have managed to

CY: I rip up cell phone holders. I've tried stitching, Arrow Staple tacker, gorilla tape and other assorted ways to put it back together. Arrow staple tacker works best, pound down the pointy tips of the staples.
I still have a

CY: I've been asked that, about my cell phone; "you're not carrying a gun, are you?"
I still have a pager on my belt too

CY: I kept my pager for many years, figure it gave me the chance to choose who to use my cell minutes. After a while, i figured everyone was using cell phones, and put my cell number on the answering machine tape. So far, no one's abused it.
No, I'm not still using a rotary dial

CY: I'll admit, I've never used those video screen phones with the icons that slide left and right. Some day I'll have to ask someone to show me how. If you hand me one, I can't make calls on it. Just don't know how.
Darn it! Being an anachronism

CY: Arthrits strength pills, and....

Stormin Mormon wrote:

A guy that works for me is developing an app for thise damn things. I ask him how he's doing every now and then, but I really don't want to know. I was involved when we started doing the tablet development but I draw the line at smart phones. Mu phone make phone calls. End of story. I think it might have some sort of calendar and maybe a rudimentary game but what do you want from the cheapest LG flip at RadioShack?
The Daring Dufas wrote:

A nylon MiniMag is just the right size for those nasty little spring batons. Just saying...
Nate Nagel wrote:

Yeah, with a $50 flashlight these days you can actually see where you're going as compared to those 2 D cell gems from the 60's that cast a pale yellow light for about 15 minutes if they worked at all. I have seen some improvement in the last 50 years and flashlights are one of them.
Ah, those were the good old days. Two Neveready carbon zinc cells, and a PR-2 bulb that didn't do much. It was that, or candles.
On 9/13/2013 10:06 AM, rbowman wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Does the refrigerant itself show up, or do you have to add in a tracer?
Have to add dye to the system.
Refrigerant systems contain lubricating oil also, sometimes a tech can spot oil that escapes with the refrigerant.
They used to sell red dye, to add. Most guys use UV, now days.
On 9/13/2013 10:27 AM, rbowman wrote:

On 9/13/2013 9:27 AM, rbowman wrote:

I use a combo red/UV dye added to the compressor oil and it must circulate through the system for a time dependent on the size of the system. A residential or small commercial system takes no time at all but a big system on a rack may take a few days to get the dye spread all through the system. I can shine my UV light at the sight glass on big commercial compressors to see if there is already dye in the system which causes a bright glow from the sight glass. ^_^
TDD
On 09/13/2013 10:27 AM, rbowman wrote:

The refrigerant isn't naturally UV fluorescent but at least in the automotive world most systems get dye added the first time they're serviced as a matter of course (at least that's what I was told when I asked a local repair shop owner after he recharged the AC in one of my vehicles; since it'd run low but was 14 years old, I wanted to know if he'd used dye when he recharged it so if I had a problem down the road I could use a black light to see what the issue might be. He stated "all our R-134a has dye in it.")
I'm not sure if it works the same way with the refrigerants used in stationary applications or if it's deemed not to be worth it.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 9/13/2013 11:07 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

I've used UV dye in vehicle AC systems too. It's especially useful for finding leaking seals on compressor drive shafts. ^_^
TDD

Ah, that's called the "I hope your wallet is ready for this" diagnosis. Only one worse I can think of is a leaking evaporator, assuming that your car is one where it takes about 13 hours labor to pull the dashboard and get to it.
nate