Battery terminals

My 6 yr old car Volvo has the original battery and perfect terminals sprayed with something red that has kept them corrosion free, but I need a new battery and want it done right. On the other car a 91 my terminals corrode so they must be cleaned anualy, I have ruined the soft lead by cleaning them so often on the battery and cable that I had to put in sheet metal because they would not tighten. How do you completely treat connections on the battery so no corrosion occurs, ever. My batteries were replaced by pro shops, Delco, but I say they screwed up since my 2002 still has no corrosion, but it now needs replacing and I want to do it right on this replacement so I get no corrosion in a year or so.

Reply to
ransley

ransley wrote in news:b3069826-3b06-465c-b900- snipped-for-privacy@x29g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Last time I had to clean terminals I used baking soda and water. Just poured the solution over everything. Battery terminals looked like they had rabies :-) Cleaned up nice. Baking soda neutralizes acid is my understanding.

Reply to
Red Green

But the point is to treat them right the first time so no follow up is needed years down the road.

Reply to
ransley

Red stuff is an anti-corrosive protectant spray; can be found at any auto parts supply house; clean terminals with baking soda (or store bought corrosion cleaner) and wire brush; you won't have any more problems and will extend the life of your battery terminals and cables .

Reply to
Michael Ashby

Call the Volvo dealer, and ask what they use. Or call auto parts stores, and see if they have battery terminal spray.

I got a can of stuff a few years bck, that was kind of yellowish. Until it hit hit acid, and then it foamed, and changed color. It was actually kind of fun stuff to use.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon