Battery Shelf Life

I said I'm not getting into any religous debate
Don't debate. Proclaim. World of difference.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's why I keep pepper spray by the front door. I tell them I'm not interested *ONE TIME ONLY*. If I have to explain my disinterest again, I use the pepper spray.
TDD
I should do that with phone solicitors. If they don't take the hint after one try, I'll spray the phone with pepper spray, and hang up.
On the other hand.... maybe not.
Love to hear some of the reactions from the folks who try to market you, at your front door.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

One time I had a black cape and a cap with horns. I could see those pests from a mile away and was just waiting for them. I would greet them at the door with my costume and in the creepiest voice I could summon, say "Come in, come in, we need a sacrifice. Are you virgins?" I did have a ketchup covered knife in my hand on a few occasions. The pepper was a lot less time consuming. The sight of the can in my hand was enough most times.
TDD
One of my favorites is a comic I know from church. He says he had one phone guy going for a while. Said he was cripple, and fell out of his wheel chair on the way to the phone cause his Mom was supposed to call from the hospital. I forget all the details, but it was good.
Nothing like pepper spray for solicitors.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Or traveling proselytizers.
TDD
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:39:16 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

    For the telephone calls, if I accidentally answer them, I like to respond with
    YOU are the 10th caller and you have won a free dance lesson at Author Murray's dance studio.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Huh? There is no extra-Biblical evidence of Jesus, and the Biblical evidence itself is suspect. For example, the Gospels are not self identifying, only attributed by tradition to Matthew, Mark, etc. Most of the New Testament was written by Paul, but Paul never met Jesus in the flesh. And so on. However, all that's not dispositive. There IS an unbroken oral tradition as to the existence of Jesus.

Right. Adam & Eve, for example. I have, however, seen a serpent...
On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 09:46:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dawghaus.com wrote:

Sure he existed - he was some dark skinned Jewish kid who caused lots of problems for the authorities.
Used to wander off, too. Gave his parents fits. Why, I remember the one time he was eleven or twelve, and he wandered off to see the temple, and his parents didn't know where he was. They found him hours later, and he dissed them "who is my father?" he asked. D'uh, like he didn't know who was Joseph or something. I guess he didn't listen to Dr. Laura Schlessinger show.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Actually not. The stories are a conglomeration of other stories floating about the area. If there was a real jesus, there were actually piles of them, religious nutjobs eeking a living spinning tales for the gullable.
On Tue, 09 Jun 2009 09:06:10 -0500, AZ Nomad

There probably was someone with that name (consider that propaganda [such as the Bible] is meant to be read, so contains elements of reality to hold peoples' attention).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

At least THAT Jesus is a part of the real world. That's different from the mythical critter religious idiots made up.
--
"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
dgk wrote:

Jewish kids don't cause trouble. They do not, for example, join gangs.
Principally because they can't wear their yarmulkes backwards.
Dorothy wrote:

Another tip:
Get a couple of kerosene lanterns, less than $5.00 each. Kerosene keeps, like, forever.
I stopped by my local auto parts store and scavenged a dozen or so plastic oil cans from the trash. I put the kerosene in these oil cans to make the eventual re-fill process easier than fiddling with the 5-gallon kerosene drum in the dark.
The kerosene lamps have other uses. Not long ago some twit took out the street lamp in front of my house. Hit that sucker square on and uprooted a 30-foot steel pole right out of the ground!
I politely mentioned the missing street light to the agency responsible about three times with no result.
Then I found a 10' tree limb, stuck it in the hole formerly occupied by the street lamp, and hung a kerosene lantern on one of the twigs.
A picture of this alternative was attached to yet another email and, presto, the street light was replaced forthwith!
It's wise to try and adjust to the sun's schedule. Go to bed when it gets dark. That cuts back on your need for artificial light.
Other, less cheeful thought. I live in NY, but I personally know of at least two people who have had generators stolen. If you use it, chain it securely. Preferably within chain range of a big dog who is protective of the family and generator. Dog might have rock-concert type hearing for a couple days. And post armed watch over the generator.
If you bought name brand alkaline batteries (Energizer, Duracell, Rayovac) they should be fine. As others have said, keep them cool but not frozen. Refrigerator may be overkill. But they should be stored in a cellar, or at floor level. Dry can be accomplished by storing the batteries in screw cap jar, wtih a dessicant packet.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

F-ing thieves should be shot on sight.(I've been a victim)

Duracells leak more often than other brands I've used. (except for Harbor Freights "Thunderbolt" cells;those were horrible.) I don't use Duracells any more.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Texas Penal Code 9.42 DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY
A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, moveable property:
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary: (A) to prevent the other's immediate commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property...