Battery Shelf Life

Page 1 of 3
I live in Florida and have accumulated a large collection of batteries for use in case of power outages. The expiration date on most of them say 2012 to 2013. Is there a device I can get to test these - without having to take them all out of the package and put them in a flash light or something . I need to feel safe and sure that they are in good working order and would feel a lot better if I could test them. Asked in the hardware and auto section of Walmart and they didn't carry them ... hadn't seen them.... I just assumed there was such a thing. I know there used to be. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My small battery tester has 2 probes you could put a hole in the top and bottom plastic, or simply open the pack and tape it up.

My small battery tester has 2 probes you could put a hole in the top and bottom plastic, or simply open the pack and tape it up.
Shouldn't they be tested under a load equivalent to their intended use?

The one I use induces a load, probably any "battery tester" induces a certain amount of determined load, all I know is it works and has saved me alot.

You have to touch the contacts to check them. You may be able to find a voltmeter with sharp probes to push through the package to hit the top and bottom. Personally, I've never found a battery that died before its time so I never bothered checking them. The other day I replace a AAA battery that has been in use for a thermometer LCD readout and the date was 2006.
I'd wait until 2013 and check them at that time, or use them up if possible.
Dottie wrote:

Keep them in the fridge and small multimeter will test them. If voltage reading is proper, it is in good condition.
Dottie wrote:

There are low cost battery testers. Living in Florida you should know that heat is a big enemy of batteries so store them in the coolest spot in your house. As others say, they should be good past their expiration date.

Radio Shack my have something for you.
Hurricane season has started, and most likely that is when the power outages happen. What do you operate during a power outage, requiring a large collection? If it is a radio one might look at the wind up types with emergency bands for weather.

I think your desired spec of "not needing to remove it from the pacakge" is going to make finding one a lot more difficult.
I have one that I "inherited" from my wife's aunt.....it loads the battery so you really know if the battery has any real energy left.
google
AA battery tester
and checkout the results....the one at amazon "might" be able to work on batteries still in the package cheers Bob
Dottie wrote:

Feeling secure is probably best accomplished by having spares. If, in the emergency, the replacement battery doesn't work, toss it and use the backup battery*. Repeat until you get one that works.
------- * Don't toss the problematic batter too far... it might be the bulb that's bad. Or the switch.

Thanks. I have lanterns that require the large ones and then lanterns that need four D size. The TV takes 6 D size. There are several of those small round lights (4 AA each) ... one of each room. Weather radio that can be recharged by turning the crank plus it takes plain AA batteries in addition to the rechargeable one.
Last year I bought a generator but we have very little experience actually running it - and that's fine with me. I want to be prepared in case of several days without power - and not rely too much on the generator. Everything appears to be working fine as long as the battteries are still good.

Thanks. I have lanterns that require the large ones and then lanterns that need four D size. The TV takes 6 D size. There are several of those small round lights (4 AA each) ... one of each room. Weather radio that can be recharged by turning the crank plus it takes plain AA batteries in addition to the rechargeable one.
Last year I bought a generator but we have very little experience actually running it - and that's fine with me. I want to be prepared in case of several days without power - and not rely too much on the generator. Everything appears to be working fine as long as the battteries are still good. ----- FYI - the TV isn't going to work after the changeover to digital TV next week. There won't be any analog TV signals for it to pick up. -- There are a few battery-poered digital TVs, but they take 8 AA cells and don't operate for more than a few minutes before the batteries are gone. Of course, you can pick up a 12-hour battery pack for $120.00 -- better to buy a generator and use that to power a few essentials.
Dorothy wrote:

Good-O on the generator, but here's one more tip:
I'm in Houston and have a big honkin' generator for the office. The generator is normally backed up with five gallons of gas (enough for about six hours of run-time). We were, we thought, prepared for Hurricane Yikes.
Who knew that EVERY GODDAMN GAS STATION FOR SIXTY MILES would be without power ! And the gas stations STAYED that way for over a week !
Now we have eight six-gallon gas cans to be filled when the next storm approaches.
You know, a gas station with a generator could sell a lot of gasline in a hurry when the others go dark. As I understand things, the government has regulated that supply and demand pricing is no longer legal. Suppose gasoline is running around 2.79 a galon (at present in Rochester NY area). The power is out for a couple days. The gas station at the corner has huge underground tanks. They spent $6,000 last year to put in a natural gas generator, and have it wired to the station. The manager figures he's got 2,000 galons of gas in the ground. He's got to make that 6K back in the next couple power cuts. So, he charges 3.79 a galon for the fuel. The customers complain about price gouging, and the news media picks up on the story. They run the story about the price gouging. The store sells out of gasoline in a day, cause they are only one who is running. The cops arrest the guy, and the courts fine him four grand, for price gouging. When the power comes back on, the gas station owner has a demolition company come in and rip out the generator. Says the generator is money loser.
So, the effect of anti price gouging laws is that the product becomes simply and totally unavailable at any price. Thank you, washington DC!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Jesus never existed. It's a fantasy figure in a really old storybook called the bible. Only fools believe jesus was real. Most kids quit believing in fantasy creatures such as santa claus, the tooth fairy and jesus christ by the age of ten. It's time for you to GROW UP !!!!
On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 09:46:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dawghaus.com wrote:

Yes. I find religion makes more sense when considered as an infectious disease usually transmitted from parent to child (not congenital, but through emotional / intellectual abuse). In the case of that site, it's sick people trying to spread their disease (not "learning" at all). No, I don't hate the OP, any more that I hate someone with smallpox. I'm still protecting myself from infection.
BTW, the storybook has multiple (mostly unknown) authors. Also, really bad writing.
--
"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
NotX wrote:

Even I've heard of King James.
TDD
On Mon, 8 Jun 2009 11:40:35 -0700 (PDT), Pat

Not going to get into a religeous debate here, but the question of whether Jesus of Nazareth lived some 2000 years ago is not a question of faith or conjecture. It is a historic documented fact.
The only question that remains a matter of faith is if he was who he claimed to be.. In order for him to be the son of God, you must believe God exists. This is neither provable nor disproveable, so remains a matter of faith.
When it comes to the old testement, the proof of whether some character or another actually existed gets a lot more difficult.
Some are historically verifiable. Some are not.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

He claimed to be the son of god?
cite

"God" is a non-entity other than in the imaginations of deluded people. In the real world, non-entities don't have sons.