battery powered flood light?

I used to have this battery powered flood light. The battery is almost the size of a car battery and has a flood light attachment. When the power is out I turn it on it lite up the entire room real bright. I got it from Builders Square when it was still in business. I dumped it when the battery ran out.

Now I want to get something like this and Home Depot told me they don't carry it. Does anyone know a source of a good bright long lasting battery (rechargeable?) powered indoor light?

Thanks,

orangetrader

Every commercial building has them. Alot of companies make them. Google. But keeping it charged will cost apx 1.5$ a month.

Reply to
m Ransley

Try a real electrical supply. They should have them. They are common, if I understand what you are talking about. BTW, it would have been easier and likely cheaper just to replace the battery.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

These are emergency lights that come on during a power outage. A quick search turned up

PaPaPeng

The other replies are all talking about permanently mounted floodlights for when there is a power outage.

When I read your post I was thinking of a very large portable flashlight that the lamp clamped onto a very large, 12v I think, battery.

Could be the battery here

I remember an even larger battery. The light was sort of like a car headlight and may have been compatible for replacements.

I googled for a while and couldn't find a flashlight for this battery.

These images sort of look like what I was thinking of. The URL in the site seems offline right now.

Brikp

I was thinking that at first, but then I switched. Following that idea, the writer should have been able to find something like that at the Big Box stores, although with the knowledgeable help around, they might not know where it is.

I have a DeWalt 18V tool set that came with a 18V flashlight. Nice bright light. Rechargeable battery.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That's what I was thinking of. But when I went to Home Depot and asked, they looked at me and said only thing they have close to this are the AC powered motion sensing security flood light. I tried to explain to them, but they told me there is nothing of this sort. So where can I get this?

Although I remember an even larger battery. The light was sort of like a car

orangetrader

I have not seen one of those in years. I suggest you look around for one of these:

I have one of the 18V ones and it is far nicer that the old 6V battery lights you are thinking about.

BTW I got mine as part of a set that included drill, recip saw, circular saw, saber saw, batteries and chargers from an "Andersons" store (local Ohio area outlet)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Home Depot has them despite the Goober's statements. Go to the Home Depot website, type - exit lighting - in the search window. Or, look in your phone book's yellow pages for businesses that deal in lighting. Give them a call.

  1. Buy them on-line.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

I googled for quite a while looking for the acual light like the one my dad had when I was a kid. I couldn't find it anywhere (Except the link I provided). It may be a while before I am at my fathers house but when I am there next, if I remember, I may grab his light to see if there is a manufacturer listed on it. I think his was originally acquired by his employer, the local power company, about 20 or more years ago. It was a great light by the way. You may want to check with Grangers. They list a 6v model. Not quite like the all metal, probably 12v one my father had.

> Although I remember an even larger battery. The light was sort of like a

Brikp

So speaking of 6V/12V batteries. We were camping recently and needed a lanturn battery. We saw one which appears to be a sealed lead acid rechargeable.

Can i use my car battery charger (which has 6V and 12V settings) to charge this puppy?

I know NiCd and NiMH and Lion batteries have specific charge circuit characteristics to keep them conditioned, but i wasn't sure about this battery.

It was only a buck or so more than the higher grade so we figured we'd get it assuming that the charger we have will work since it was a lead/acid battery.

I don't have the details on the battery now... it's packed away. We picked it up at Wally world (walmart). I can find it if it matters.

Thanks

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Bright, huh? Go to

and search for X990. Comes with two NiMH packs, each lasts about an hour. The light also works wonders for older eyes ;) I can clearly see underneath my dash, even though it's black carpet and black plastic. Nice light to read with when indoors.

- Scott

Reply to
Scott Packard

orangetrader posted for all of us....

Tekkie

Confirm this before proceeding.

While the characteristics of sealed lead acid are slightly different than conventional wet cell, the differences are slight and you can get by with a car charger. I use a small 1.5A top-up charger I got at Walmart to charge a 5 Ah SLA I use regularly. No problems so far. I'd only worry if the charger isn't too smart and you risk overcharging.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly