battery powered drills; auto 12v yet?

A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They all said no saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene. Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery? Anyone used a car battery with a drill?

Reply to
werwer

Since you are willing to put up with a cord, why not use a 115v drill and get an inverter for the car.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

I dont see why it wont work, maybe they just want to sell batteries.

Reply to
ransley

Much voltage drop so make the lines short or larger. Further, you need to fuse the lines way down preventing short circuit (meltdown or explosion) of a few hundred amps at the drill.

There is a cordless drill out in the market a few years ago that could use either battery or an external power supply - don't remember who make it but should be easy for the DIY to do.

Reply to
** Frank **

12vdc is 12vdc, whether from a car battery or NiCd. The impedance of the drill is whatever is required for the proper amperage at 12vdc. What are you/they talking about?!
Reply to
Toller

Take a 300W inverter and connect it to your car's electrical system. Take an AC drill. Plug it into the inverter.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Tuff to do up at the cabin. :-)

Reply to
werwer

ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had

... of the battery.

Reply to
werwer

Want battery unit.

Reply to
werwer

Any 12V car battery could run any 12V dc drill or a 6V motorcycle battery could run a any 6V dc drill. If you're handy, all you need is a disconnect,

2 wires and a fuse to protect you and the drill.

New battery technology is now pretty good, something like 2,000 charge cycles vs. 500 cycles, 3x the run time and 1/2 the weight of a NiCd - that's the hype anyway. Why bother with a hefty lead acid that you shouldn't use it indoors without ventilation?

Reply to
** Frank **

Not exactly. 12V static from the drill battery a little more static from the car battery (most will be about 13V) then put the drain on them. The drill battery is likely to drop down to like 9 Volts quickly (internal resistance) but the car battery may only drop down to 12V. That difference could burn a motor that was not designed for it.

Now my questions is why not just use the 12V charger and charge one battery while you are using another?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have a cheap 12V drill that is interchangeable with a 18V power pack. No problems so far, but I don't use it much either.

Voltage drop is huge on a 12V system and if anything should be ok for a 12V drill. I use #4 cables from the 12V battery to the car power amp for the sub woofers - less than 10' of run at that, and mostly for voltage drop.

Reply to
** Frank **

10 - 1.2v nicads are fully charged at 1.35v per cell or 13.5v for the pack, at 12v the pack is essential dead, a car battery will be fine. the impedance story I think is nonsence.
Reply to
ransley

Why not?

Reply to
stu

weight fumes acid

Reply to
AZ Nomad

It is.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

ransley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

IIRC,Hitachi used to sell a cordless drill that had an option for a belt-mounted battery pack,with a coil-cord to the drill.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Toller" wrote in news:Lg9Pi.18621$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

all batteries have an internal source resistance(impedance,or Z) that limits how much current they will output.Some types have much lower internal Z than others.

electric motors draw their highest current at stall.

IMO,the main worry would be burning out the speed control in the trigger;they are only designed for a set amount of current capability,and may not have overcurrent protection.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

He could use an inline fuse, my RC car has a 30a fuse for 9.6v , he could start with a 3a fuse

Reply to
ransley

Right. Or buy a photovoltaic solar panel and install that on the cabin so you can watch your 12 volt TV.

RicodJour