Battery-powered chainsaws...

Anybody here any experience with same?

Use only for the trimming on occasion and can be long intervals between usage. Hence, tend to have difficulties keeping gas going--just last week it started acting up yet again after a few cuts. So, now got to rework carb or whatever is the issue keeping it from running well presently.

Wondered how well they tend to do...

Reply to
dpb

Are you referring to saws powered from your 12 volt car battery or something else? Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

I use gas powered chain saws. But I also bought an arborist blade for my cordless reciprocating saw, and I LOVE it.

Reply to
Pico Rico

On 08/29/2014 1:13 PM, Paul Drahn wrote: ...

Something else...Oregon's entry, there are several others, some with twice the AH battery capacity and up to 16" bars...

Reply to
dpb

Have always had gas chain saw too but I'm getting older and find the constant working on it means it tends to stay even longer between uses because I figure it'll have to have something done so don't bother...

Don't have the cordless recip saw...altho an idea although I'd like something for up to 8" or so...

Reply to
dpb

Interesting but that price and $100 battery for infrequently used tool would bother me. How about a corded model?

Reply to
Frank

The other option is an electric. I have a Stihl, but like you say, when you only use them once a year, you wind up with problems. The Stihl can be more work to get started than the job. So, I bought an electric Poulan. Used it to cut up 3 big trees, trunk probably 16". I was very happy with it. If the range isn't too great for a cord, it's an option.

Reply to
trader_4

always run a chainsaw until it stops from lack of fuel when you plan on storing it for a long period. Use fresh fuel when you do get it out again and you'll have fewer problems with it.

Most tailed or tailless electric chainsaws are miserably underpowered.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Starting at thirty bucks.

Stormin Mormon

I have 17 trees, up to 90 years old, and numerous shrubs (up to 5" in diameter). I used to use a chain saw a lot at the farm. Here, I've used one only once in more than 30 years, when I was repairing it for a relative.

I depend on two bow saws. One will cut through 6" (12" with 2 cuts). The other will cut through 9" (18" with 2 cuts).

Cutting green wood, I apply oil to prevent gumming. I apply oil to prevent rusting. If grit dulls the tips, it will probably be on one side, causing it to cut in a curve and bind. The solution is a new blade.

I find a bow saw quick and easy as long as I avoid cuts that will bind.

Reply to
J Burns

On 08/29/2014 2:48 PM, Frank wrote: ...

Generally could live with it around the house but where was the other day is beyond easy reach -- on the farm place there's more area w/o power than the limited area with.

If have the manlift, it has outlet in the bucket and so if close enough to get the main unit to power it would work well. But, again, for the present task it's too far from nearest power.

Reply to
dpb

I'm going to presume that by "tailed" and "tailless" you are referring to corded and cordless.

In the Yukon Territories and Alaska they have lumberjack competitions where they compete on how quickly their modified chain saws can cut through tree trunks. Some of the competitors have chain saws powered by Kawasaki and Suzuki two stroke motorcycle engines that can cut through a two foot diameter tree trunk in only about 5 seconds. Up in the Yukon, where there are 3 men for every 2 women, they call that "entertainment".

Reply to
nestork

I've done that with my saws, with some success. However, that success didn't transmit to my ETQ generator (which says to shut it off electric, and leave gas in it). Now I have a generator that only start son ether, and has a miserable rod knock.

I'm not pleased.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

and if they loose a few men, the women will still be well served.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Don't blame the Chinese. They prolly didn't know Americans would be so stupid as to put 10% ethanol in their fuel.

Reply to
Fake ID

I have a 100 foot extension cord and a 14 iirc inch AC chain saw. Works fine. I don't know how well it would work if I had to add another

100 feet or more.
Reply to
micky

Get yours running again and try this fuel from Stihl. I have a blower,hedgetrimmer and chainsaw that I use it all the time. Like you, I don't use them weekly or even monthly. This is stable for up to 2 yrs, only drawback is that it's about 8 bucks a quart. But figuring in the hassle factor of get stuff to run again after sitting, it's worth it. I've tried electric stuff and just doesn't have the power that gas does.

ChairMan

Or that one dumb yankee would buy ethanol free high octane for his two stroke mix needs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for that tip. At $8 a quart, it's actually not that expensive if you just use it for the final tank before storage. You're right, saving the hassle is well worth it. Also I think putting some similar alcohol free product that's not mixed with oil in my snowblower as it's running on it's last drops of fuel would be a good idea too. IDK why I never thought of that.

Currently the Stihl is in pieces. It's an 031AV, 1972 vintage. It was behaving erratically, refusing to start. I've gone through the obvious and think there is a good chance it's the crankshaft seals. That's as far as I got. If you look on Ebay, there are folks selling those 40 year old dinosauers, all beat up, for $350. That says a lot.

Reply to
trader_4

dpb wrote, on Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:42:18 -0500:

Just this week ...

I am helping a neighbor cut a mile-long path through thick impenetrable chaparral as we speak ...

After only about 1,000 feet, we were sick of the hand saws, so, my neighbor bought this electric chainsaw from Home Depot:

Of course, the puny battery dies abruptly, without any warning, in the hot sun, in about 20 to 30 minutes of hard use on manzanita & chamise so we were forced to buy a bigger battery (they were out of the biggest):

We did notice that the battery heats up and just shuts down, so, having two allows the first to cool down, which gives it another five minutes or so, after about a 20 minute rest period.

The chain also needs adjustment every five minutes!

We're not sure if that's because of the springy nature of the chaparral (mostly greasewood & manzanita but some oak & toyon).

Danny D.