Battery Operated Reciprocating Saw

I think I want a battery operated reciprocating saw for Christmas. Do you have any positive or negative recommendations? Porter Cable got some good reviews from Consumer Reports recently. A friend has a Ryobi.
If I get one, what kind of blade is used for cutting Hardiplank?

Years ago I bought a Ryobi 18 volt "kit". It came with a drill, small 5 1/4" (I think) circular saw, flashlight, 2 batteries, charger, and reciprocating saw. I am VERY impressed with everything but the circular saw. It really uses up the batteries and just barely cuts thru a 2x4. The drill, recip saw and flashlight seem to go on forever. I didn't think I would use the flashlight when I bought the kit, but it turns out I use it alot in the garage and while camping. I dropped the drill from about 16 ft and cracked the case, but you would never know it, it still works great.
Altho I am not using these in any commercial venture, I do use them often and would suggest them to others. Pro's may have a different take on Ryobi. But you can't beat the price.
They make all kinds of blades to cut different woods and metals. I am not sure which blade you would use.
Hank
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:16:04 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

Porter Cable has been bought out by B&D to eliminate the competition and has greatly reduced the quality of their equipment. It is still a little better than B&D, but not by much. To me it is a tossup between Porter Cable and Ryobi. Both are DIY home owner brands and will not be terrible. Personally, if I wanted one to get the job done right I would stick to Milwaukee, Bosh, Hilti, Hitachi. I don't trust Dewalt since B&D took them over. I had their cordless set and I had 3 brand new hammerdrills in just under a year. The locking chuck did not lock. The clutch is designed to drive deck screws through the decking on setting 1. The motor burned up in one of them. It was a blessing when the set was stolen out of my truck! I now own Milwaukee and am MUCH more satisfied with it.

If you already have battery tools buy one that the same battery works in.
Not the best tool for hardiplank. A circ saw with a carbide blade makes the best cuts in that stuff.
Colbyt

How much cuttting do you plan on doing and how fast do you want to go, certain tools and jobs 120v plug in is the only way to go. I have the Ryobi circular saw, it cuts with a charged battery but drains fast and I only consider it for light and quick work and its slower than 120v tools, concrete board for a full job will slow you down alot and cost you time and money You might cut 75-80% slower than 120v and not get many cuts per charge. Milwaukee makes a sawsall that lasts, Ryobi is good but lighter duty and life expectancy, and you pay alot less for it. It all depends on what use you have planned for it over the next 5-10 years
mcp6453 wrote:

pleased with it. I even use it with a "wet wood" blade for trimming small tree limbs, etc. I do like the easy blade change lever, but I guess other brands have that. I agree that, if you have other battery tool, you probably want the same brand so you can share batteries.

My buddy has a bunch of 18V Ryobi tools (which my first take on was ... "what junk") but the recip saw is decent and since I convinced him to get the Li- ion batteries it will really do some work.
Just like Paslode nailer over a pneumatic.....if you're not going to be a TON of cuts, a battery powered recip is fine as is an 18v Ryobi.
If you really need some power...the "new" MIlwaukee Super Sawzall (11amp?) puts my wimpy old Sawzall to same. And the PC TigerClaw "swivel monster" is pretty good for tight places.
cheers Bob

    I have a B&W and I would rate it as fair. However I would no choose a reciprocating saw for hardplank.