Battery Operated Push Button Deadbolts - Opinions?

Page 1 of 3

Does anyone have any opinions on Battery Operated Push Button Deadbolts for entry doors?
Opinions? In this newsgroup? Why'd I bother asking? ;-)
We're considering this one for our new entry door. Other than the wife, the rest of us don't carry a house key, we just use the push button pad on the garage door to enter the house.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41JP1D5R38L._SS500_.jpg
A push button deadbolt would allow us to use the front door also.

So, the battery dies, there's a power outage which puts the garage door to sleep, and you don't carry a key. Now what happens?

theres a standard key too. can be well hidden outdoors for emergencies...

I keep my hidden key inside the house where there's less chance of a would be burgler finding it.

They use the hidden key.
Are you really arguing from the "what happens if three alternatives fail" platform? Most people just carry a key.

They use the hidden key.
Are you really arguing from the "what happens if three alternatives fail" platform? Most people just carry a key.
============== "Are you really arguing from the "what happens if three alternatives fail" platform?"
Yes. Sorry if that made you uncomfortable, but I'm a worst case scenario kind of person.
"Most people just carry a key."
He said "Other than the wife, the rest of us don't carry a house key"
Did I misinterpret that, or does it mean that only his wife carries a key?
He also did not mention a hidden key.

See what I mean about "opinions" in this group? ;-)
A key to the deadbolt on my basement door is on the same key ring as the spare key for my car, which is somewhere in my car.
Lost car keys? Call AAA, I'm in and driving.
The battery dies and there's a power outage? I use the basement door key.
OK, I should have been more specific - not *carrying* a key doesn't mean I don't have a key available for emergencies.

See what I mean about "opinions" in this group? ;-)
==========
I just ran with the available facts. The alternative would've been to guess. :-)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Sounds like your mind is made up to try that battery driven lock. Why ask then? Always more gadgestry, the more chance of getting into trouble. I wouldn't try something like that. Trying to justify buying that item. Go once step further get one with wireless fob.

..
re: Sounds like your mind is made up to try that battery driven lock.
Sounds like *your* mind is made about what *my* mind is made up about.
re: Why ask then?
errr....perhaps to help make up my mind. That make sense?
I have to decide what kind of lock I want before I can order the new entry door. Not only do I need to tell them how to bore the door, but I need to match the hardware to the hinges, the threshold, etc.
The convenience of being able to use the front door without a key is inviting, but if the type of lock I'm looking at gets shot down by the fine members of this group, I will start looking at other options.
If I start looking at other options, I'll be back asking questions - before I make up my mind.

m...
I don't know that it is being shot down, as the main objection seems to be the battery dying, and that problem seems to be overblown. The battery dying is not a huge problem, but there is now maintenance involved and the ease and rapidity of swapping out the batteries should be investigated.
If you look at most commercial installations, as already mentioned, the mechanical keyless locks are more or less standard. If I were to go with an electronic lock, I'd probably go with a fingerprint reader - but of course those will be more expensive.
The lock bumping thing is a problem which is probably pretty easily solved. If a couple of hundred people called up the manufacturer's tech support and asked which models of their locks are bump proof, then told them they would be buying another manufacturer's locks to gain the _required_ security, the manufacturer would probably get the message and start changing over. They'd probably just have to adjust one machine on their assembly line to effect the changeover.

com...
re: "I don't know that it is being shot down..."
You may have mis-interpreted my reply to Mr. Hwang.
He seemed to think I had already made up my to buy the lock and was wondering why I bothered asking.
I was simply explaining my reason for asking and stated that *if* it got shot down I'd look for other options.
In other words, I have not yet made up my mind, even though Mr. Hwang thinks I have.
RicodJour wrote:

I would imagine it is pretty easy to drill a small hole in one of the battery-powered solenoid locks and short it out, with the result being that you can bypass the keypad and gain entry into the house.
The trick, of course, would be having a template for exactly *where* to drill the hole, but since there are only a few models available, it wouldn't take a devoted thief much work to come up with a few.
Add a cordless drill and you're on your way!
Jon (who will stick to mechanical locks)

re: The trick, of course, would be having a template for exactly *where* to drill the hole..."
The trick, of course, would be to simply walk around the side of the house, break the widow and get into the garage.
Trust me, there are easier ways to get into my house than drilling through an electronic lock.
On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:05:38 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

Or a rock, if you don't mind breaking a window.
Jon Danniken wrote:

Ditto. I have a small LED fob on my key ring which helps find key hole in the dark. Living in COLD climate I just can't depend on anything battery operated.
We have the Weisers on our main entry doors plus the doors from two attached garages. We haven't carried house keys for years. There are great. Out of 5 of these locks we haven't had weak batteries in more than one lock at a time. Three locks should be fine unless you let the batteries die in two of them and then the third one dies. But then you just go to a hidden key.

That keyhole is secretly voice recognition.

there are fingerprint door locks available too.
The DNA test ones are coming soon
Just use em early in the day while they still have a new needle for the blood draw. Later in the day you risk getting infection from someone earlier.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus