Battery memory on NiCad cordless drill

Page 3 of 3
If you're thinking of replacing anything, Ridgid cordless tools now have a lifetime warranty, which includes battery replacement -- Regards --

1) Pulse charge and it will return to full energy if it is still in infancy .
Never deep cycle any battery . Batterys die for being NOT fully charged . Leave them discharged is to shorten life . ---------------- 2) NimH and Nicad lose 10% in 1 day , Li-Ion lose 1% . I gambled on 100 NimH "LenMars" 2.5 aH AA's from Buy.com .. 25% loss in 1 day , load tested OK , i tossed them , not worth my time .
----------------------------------------------------------------------- more ........................ Pulse charge a nicad and it "loses" its memory , return full energy . ........ a 4 amp pow supply with a simple Resistor works great . C cell ( NiCad ,NimH) , as in drills , can take 2-3 amps til about 1pt36 vdc (((Linux crap apps ! Konquerer ..Cant see the text , too small , no way to change it so i use pt for decimal point ))))))))
1 ) so pulse with a very low Z pow supply at 1pt48 to 1pt5 vdc per cell and a Resistor of 0pt25 ohms . Theorectically , you must select R ( 0pt25) carefully , use scope to see the lighter amps , for it will heat up if too much amps above 1pt38 vdc . 2) but since current is so hi and pow supply is likely to help the current limit anyway , just measure the current above 1pt36 to 1pt37 vdc and adj the supply Voltage instead of doin the Resistor . Now the resistor limiter is inside your pow supply and you can simply vary period of pulse to "tame" the circuit and keep batteries cool . Never charge a hot battery ( > 110F ) , they dry up , short life . Velleman has o'scope ( HPS-40 for $250 ) .
BTW Clever battery chargers use a 2 step current limit , but more clever is to make the heavy current , resistor controlled . BTW Li-Ion need a charge rate of less than "c" til 3.6 to 3.65 VDC at 25 Deg C . ( I.E. Sony 920 Notebook has 2.2 aH cells in parallel so 4.4 times 3 sets in series +12v in > | | | | Ground < | | -means less than about 4 amps til 3.6 vdc ...Thus the pow supply will show 4.9 amps to pow notebook and charge both ( batts/Notebook) same time .
These Li-Ions are worth your while even if you are poor . They will Kill Nicad/Nimh for they have 1) more energy per cubic inch ... 2) same VERY hi discharge rates . 3) but retain energy beyond a week . dont fear paralleling , Li-Ions have much less cross talk ( discharge of lower volt cell by the higher volt cell ) than anything ....
Off Topic Your Z-6 Minolta DigiCam will NOT like alkalines You must use NimH for the hi power needed . And it dont like heat , remove batteries to allow heat to escape for 15 minutes and you can shoot again ... I guess refurbished can mean a tax dodge , the Camera IS new ! The price drop is combo of Loss Leader and a pass thru of tax .
Dan_Musicant wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@swissinfo.org says...

Nonsense. NiCDs and NiMH batteries love to be discharged. That's the only way to store them for long periods. Don't "reverse charge" cell(s) in a multi-cell battery by discharging it below about 1V/cell though. They can be left to self discharge without damage. A single cell battery can be discharged to zero.
OTOH, lead-acid batteries must never be fully discharged and must be stored with a float charge. Lead-acid batteries are thus better for things like flashlights, UPSs, safety lighting, and such.

Not any more. NiCds may be 20% per month, usually less. NiMH has gotten a lot better too, but it was never as bad as 10% per day.
<snipped the rest - too hard to read>
--
Keith

says...

Agreed.
That's wrong. They should be stored CHARGED. Do you have any cites for your claim?

NiCd Figures I've seen are ~5% self-discharge/day. Storage temperature greatly affects this.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

snipped-for-privacy@abuse.gov says...

Yes, Gates' secondary battery manual. The chemical reaction stops with zero terminal voltage. They store quite nicely that way. In any case, they *will* self discharge and the worse thing possible for a NiCd or NiMH is to float charge it. THis is exactly the opposite as is the situation for Lead-acid cells.

Nonsense. They do *not* self discharge totally in a month. ...more like 20% a month. Classically NiMH self-discharges at about twice the rate of NiCD, but AIUI they've gotten much closer.
--
Keith

With my Johnson walkie talkies with the42 year old NiCads, i charge some every year or two. I have never found them totally dead.
greg

snipped-for-privacy@pitt.edu (GregS) wrote in says...

Well! that certainly proves something.
???
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Would you have any evidence for this article of faith? :-)
Nick

It is less painful to buy new batteries than read that post :-)