Battery Drain Mystery

Page 2 of 4

Unless that windows box is connected to a robot arm that is pressing keys, that is totally irrelevent. A keyboard that isn't being used has no business draining a battery. If it is, the design is crap.
On Fri, 07 May 2010 10:13:05 -0500, AZ Nomad

I've seen plenty of remote controls that had to be replaced because they would intermittantly start transmitting random signals without being touched.

Broken shit.
On Fri, 07 May 2010 13:29:21 -0500, AZ Nomad

Yeah. So what?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

On a very old TV, with a remote control (a motor to change the channels, ca chunk, ca chunk). It started going on and off and changing channels by itself. Finally I figured it out (I was about age 10). Something on the vacuum cleaner was the cause. The wheels on the vacuum cleaner had a high pitched squeal, and I suppose a higher pitched one we couldn't hear, and the remote signal was an ?ultra high frequency sound. I oiled the wheels of the vacuum and it fixed the TV.

Back when I was fixing consumer electronics for a living, sometimes a TV in the shop would turn on or off, or changes channels when I wiped the tip of my soldering iron on a damp sponge.

We had a B&W TV back in the late 60's like that. It would change channels every time the Phone rang.
--- ---

an earlier home automation adapter -- phone in to remote control your household
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Some early CFL lights interfered with IR remote control TV sets.
TDD

I've looked inside those remote controls, they would bang a short piece of metal that worked like a tuning fork to generate the ultrasonic frequencies. Later in the late 70's, a grandmother had a tv with a solid state version that drove an ultrasonic transducer.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Maybe this was newer than I remember, but I really don't think so. It had, I'm guessing, what you call an ultrasonic transducer. Inside I can picture an aluminum case about 1" x 2" x 1/4" with a thin metal *thing* that pointed out of the remote, I think covered with metal mesh or something for protection.
Now that I think about the late 70's again, I'm sure they were up to remotes that had as many as 10 buttons and used IR. The ultrasonic one I was talking about only had 4 commands, channel up, channel down, volume up, and volume down.
I never saw the type with the tuning forks, that's neat to know.
On Fri, 07 May 2010 10:13:05 -0500, AZ Nomad

It used to work, so it's not really a "design" issue - sounds like a "failure" issue. With the transciever interface REMOVED from the computer see if the battery still goes dead. If so it is LIKELY a popped capacitor in the keyboard.
Tony Hwang wrote:

What he means is, I think, that if there is a transmitter that has it's own wall wart, that plugs into the PC , or if your PC maintains power to the USB ports even when it is 'shut down' (but is really just in standby mode), the transmitter end could be continually polling the keyboard and keeping it active. A lot of PCs, like a lot of TVs, aren't really OFF unless you yank the plug out of the wall.
--
aem sends...

If there isn't a human pressing keys, the keyboard should be asleep. Status LEDs are usually on the receiver for a good reason.
A bluetooth keyboard has a thousand times the sophistication of the typical IR keyboard and they're smart enough to sleep when not in use. Why not a rock stupid IR keyboard? Truly, time to switch brands.

Virtually every desktop system built in the last 15 years or more (since the advent of the ATX standard)
On Fri, 07 May 2010 12:10:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

One of mine has both a "soft" power switch, and a "hard" power switch. I've seen quite a few others like that. It is about 3 or 4 years old.
On Fri, 07 May 2010 12:19:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

reach where nobody uses it, if they even know it's there. I;'ve had service calls where the customer can't turn the computer on. Because that "unknown" switch was accidentally bumped off.
When you use the normal switch or tell the computer to shut off, it is still drawing power.
Not so on MOST laptops, which have a real OFF as well as a standby position. - but the laptop power supply still draws power if it is plugged in. NO power to any ports or peripherals though when turned OFF.
On Fri, 07 May 2010 20:35:30 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Most ATX systems don't have the "hard" switch. All ATX systems have "soft" power control.

Yep.
Nope. It's still a "soft" power off. There is no physical switch in the power source.
On Fri, 07 May 2010 20:04:06 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

does not keep anything turned on - nothing is powered up when the system is turned off - the battery simply provides voltage to the "dead" side of the switch, which activates the solid state version of a relay to power up the system when you push the switch.
On Sat, 08 May 2010 02:14:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Obviously the power management logic is still powered on; the definition of "soft" power.