Battery charger repair

Like most small automotive battery chargers mine is a piece of crap little 8 amp unit. When I went to use it the connectors were bad and one of the wires pulled out of the connector. Fixed that and there isnt enough spring tension for it to make reliable connection to the battery terminal. By now Im getting a little fumed because I worked to work on my van instead of the battery charger. I had a couple of miniature vice grip pliers, basically toys. I drilled holes in the jaws and tapped them. Replaced the cable on it with some heavy duty speaker wire, I think wires are about #12 and fastened the wires to the screws I installed on the jaws with some crimp-on terminals. These things will now fasten on to anything and break through just about any kind of crud to make a good contact.

Hope this helps someone

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

They just don't make em like they used to. I just used my 35 year old

6 amp Schauer to top off the charge on my Harley for it's first start of the year. Damn clamps are rusted, got to wiggle them on the terminals to make connection but the sonofabitch still works and the springs are still as tight as they were 35 years ago.
Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Well you will buy Chinese!

Reply to
harry

Visegrips as spring clamps. I'd not have thought of that. I woulda gone to the auto parts, and buy to replacement clamps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Got the idea from my welder. It uses a modified pair of vice grips for the ground connection. Dont know where I got the mini vice grips from but they make great connectors. I'm thinking jumper cables now.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Wife says I picked up one set at the Dollar store and the second was her dad's. His last "job" was selling flea market tools.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Getting to the point the only option is to buy old used and refurb.

Reply to
clare

For small chargers (bad clamps), I used a hose clamp. Strip the wire a bit, connect to the terminal and tighten (wire under the hose clamp at the terminal.

A hose clamp works in a pinch. I've done the same with bad jumper cable connectors or used visegrips.

Just something with a tight connection.... for a jump or charge.

Reply to
Oren