Battery boost

A 25 foot set of 1/0 cable is $250 just for the cable at $5 per foot, and then you need good ends too. A good set of Goodall 500 amp clams is about $75, so $325 for a set of 500 amp 25 foot cables.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca used his keyboard to write :

I never pay more than $10.00 for jumper cables.
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 5:07:43 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:

I pay a lot more than that for AAA to bring their jumper cables to me. ;-)
DerbyDad03 submitted this idea :

Really? State Farm comes out to tow Me or jump start Me for nothing.
On 12/31/2015 7:17 PM, Eagle wrote:

How much does that free lunch cost you?
Ed Pawlowski formulated on Thursday :

$30.00 a year...coffee included. ^^
Oren explained on 12/31/2015 :

You offering? lol

I've used the roadside service option a few times, and it's well worth the yearly $30.00 for the service. I have to pay up front for whatever I need, [tow, jump battery, etc] but get it back in mail. Most insurance outfits offer this service.

I wouldn't know, Oren... :D

ft
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 19:41:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I always used thick cables to start carbureted cars - back in the day. But letting thinner cables charge the dead battery for 5-10 minutes works fine with fuel injection, assuming the car doesn't have other problems. The mistake many people make is not having a good connection on the side mount battery terminals. You have to make sure the alternator on the charging car has a load on it. Until you hear that you're not connected. Not always easy to hear if there's a lot of traffic around. My cables are hanging in the garage, a 25' foot set of heavy and a 20' set of medium. Haven't used them at least 10 years.
On 12/31/2015 6:17 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Keep ours in the trunks of the cars. The first time the car doesn't start, you check the date stamped on top of the battery. If more than 3 years (regardless of the grade of battery), you pull the battery and get it replaced. Batteries simply don't last in the heat, here.
[And, if you buy a battery that covers the first 36 months "in full" -- prorating after that -- you usually don't pay for the replacement... or the replacement for the replacement... or the replacement for the replacement for the replacement... :> ]
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 19:27:01 -0700, Don Y

I kept a pair in the trunk until maybe 5 years ago - old habit. Came to realize I just don't need them. I've been getting at least 5 years from a battery. Never had one pro-rated.
On 12/31/2015 11:34 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

First battery I bought, here, was like a 100 month battery. Deader'n a doornail after ~4 years. Prorated value would still have me shelling out $50 for another of the same.
So, since then, we've been buying $50 batteries at Costco.
Well, more accurately, we bought *one* $50 battery and have been returning it every few years for a free replacement! Anybody here with half a brain (and the ability to remove two cables from a battery!) does the same sort of thing. The heat just kills the batteries in short order.
Unfortunately, you never know if the battery is going to give up the ghost in your garage (where the cables might be stored) *or* somewhere away from home (where you'd have to rely on AAA, etc.). So, I just lay the jumpers in the spare tire wheel well "tracing" the outline of the spare. That way, I know where to find them!
Heat also wreaks havoc on tires! Most (concrete) driveways are covered with tire tracks -- as if someone had skidded on them (just the rubber melting off the treads!)
[Women don't seem to understand the concept of NOT turning the wheel unless the car is ROLLING!]
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 19:27:01 -0700, Don Y

replacement under warranty.
On 12/31/2015 11:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You've obviously never dealt with Costco! :> They are very customer friendly; drop off the battery, show proof of purchase, go grab your replacement battery off the shelf -- and be sure to take your *new* receipt for the NEXT return! :>
Don Y wrote on 12/31/2015 :

Yep, and anything else you aren't happy with that came from Costco.
On 1/1/2016 7:21 AM, Eagle wrote:

Here, batteries failing is *such* a common occurrence, that most folks don't even bother to test the batteries.
I've had to rebuild the alternator several times on my car, in the past (usually the bridge fails). I.e., in the past, I'd always assume the alternator had given up the ghost taking the battery down in the process. Amusingly, here, I've not had to do that at all! Yet, have replaced the battery several times!
Don Y wrote :

The problem with jumper cables in the car/truck is you have to jump from a second battery, and have to flag down a passing car/truck to jump from. Here in So. Cal. that isn't a good idea due to the nut cases here. This is the reason I am posting about "battery boosting", and having that all important second battery to jump from.
On 1/1/2016 7:18 AM, Eagle wrote:

I've only once had to jump-start a car "on the road": when the car we'd driven from Denver to Boston "died" 2 miles from the end of the trip (alternator having given up the ghost sometime along the way and battery finally exhausted).
Every other event has been while the car was parked -- in my garage or at some "destination" -- just prior to setting out for somewhere (returning home, headed off to work, etc.).
If at home, you go find a friendly neighbor. If at work, find a workmate who's sympathetic. In a random parking lot, wait for a passerby and hope for the best.
Likewise, every time I have had to jump someone else's vehicle, it has been in a similar situation.
Don Y expressed precisely :

Wouldn't it be more convenient to have a lithium booster in your glove box to get you to a place with fresh batteries?
On 1/1/2016 10:13 AM, Eagle wrote:

How would that device fare with 140F interior temperatures?