Battery boost

Page 2 of 6
Ed Pawlowski expressed precisely :

So am I...47 years worth, but a young beauty wants a jump, who am I to deny her?
On 12/31/2015 10:42 AM, Eagle wrote:

I'm not even allowed to think about such things. Another trip to confession.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Please enlighten Me on this 'confession' thing. Is it like the catholic confession where you go into a booth and tell whoever is on the otherside of the blind your latest thoughts on sex and other Creator given pleasures?
On 12/31/2015 11:57 AM, Eagle wrote:

Mormons do confession, also. A Bishop or Stake President is authorized to hear all the various sins. He then guides the member as to what is needed to receive forgiveness (from God, the church, society). This is typically done in a church office, over or across the corner of a desk.
I'm using the expression a bit lightly. Which isn't really proper, but I hope folks will forgive my irreverance.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 2:34:53 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You should be careful how you word your responses.
If one wanted to, one could read your response to mean that "what is needed to receive forgiveness" is "typically done in a church office, over or across the corner of a desk."
Just exactly what the "this" in your last sentence refers to is not clear.
On 12/31/2015 3:06 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thank you, you are correct. I did a rewrite above, and hope to be more clear.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

And they make or made battery cables with a warning if they were connected backwards. In 50 years, and a couple hundred jumps, I only did that once and didn't do any damage.

Here is what Pat Goss and George Kurkowski have to say on this topic...
http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/lithium-ion-battery-jump-starter
On 12/30/2015 1:01 PM, Eagle wrote:

"Dead" (as in unable to accept a charge)? Or, just "flat" (needing a charge)?
On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 3:01:47 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:

http://www.cheekymonkeysmorzine.com/images/booster%20seat.jpg
On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 3:24:35 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

That's about as good as anything when he doesn't even say what kind of battery it is.
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 12:34:58 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Put some salt on it. I heard about a guy who put salt on a battery and he was charged in seconds. He was charged with SALT and BATTERY !!!
* Now, that's a serious charge!
On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 18:41:59 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

GROAN!
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc brought next idea :

On 12/30/2015 2:01 PM, Eagle wrote:

Depends on the battery, dude.

If the battery booster is dead, I recommend you use a battery booster booster.

If batteries going dead, because of lights left on, or drain from alarms, or playing the radio, is an ongoing probelm, I'd recommend Priority Start. It's 80 dollars or so, but I expect I'll never have a problem again. I'll take out of each old car and put it into each new car.
http://www.prioritystart.com/ (Amazon.com product link shortened)78262131025189645&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8qqp55cqxk_b
Also comes in 24 volt and in marine style.
It disconnects the battery before the battery is so weak it can't start the car. No need to open the hood to reconnect, just put your foot on the brake.
I've had mine for 3 years.

A good heavy set of booster cables in the trunk. The modern ones are pretty small. I've made some from welding cable and heavy duty clamps. Those are for work use. I bought one of these from Amazon. http://preview.alturl.com/3fj27 I haven't tried it yet and can't remember why I chose it over the others.

On 12/31/2015 5:04 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

+1
I used welding cable (fine strands), large clamps (the sort that have jaws that pivot to expose the "clip on prongs" for batteries with those "top mount" cables) and then ran the mess through some 1" metal braid to keep the two conductors side-by-side for their entire length. Heavy but the added length and quality has lasted me some 40 years...

Oren was thinking very hard :

Interesting web site. Thanks Oren.