Battery backup to run my furnace?

Page 2 of 3
On 12/30/2013 12:11 PM, Frank wrote:

I gave these to someone as a joke:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 12/30/2013 9:39 AM, philo wrote:

How'd the exploding battery happen? Make spark while charging?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/30/2013 08:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was working on a stationary battery.... a very large rack-mounted assembly. I did not have the right tools for the job and my boss was supposed to supply me with an insulated socket set.
When I initially refused to do the work, he told me I had no choice and that I should just tape-up my socket set. Of course it slipped and the bus bar cut through the tape and the battery shorted out and a cell exploded.
(Also...a 1000 amp fuse blew... and my socket set melted.)
My boss took the full blame, and the company insurance paid for the damage. However, the bottom line was that it was my fault for doing what I knew could be potentially unsafe.
I learned a lesson and believe me, from then on ...any time one of my bosses did something that was out of line I yelled at them good and in several instances filed a complaint. I saw most of my bosses , through the years, ask for (and get) other assignments.
On 12/30/2013 10:11 AM, philo wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Out of all the years you were employed (may still be employed?) I'm guessing that one is memorable. I have a few such days, like Farmer Bob and his Gehl Skid Steer.
It sounds like a series of neglect, and one brief oops, that did it in.
It also sounds like a great chance for someone to make a Harbor Freight Non Conductive wrench set (made from polymer plastic) that is on sale 30% off, for only $14,629.95 with coupon (cannot be duplicated or transferred) and inside track membership. Retool the injection molders that used to make legal AR-15 rifle stocks, and we're all good.
Glad you were more safety minded, after that.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/30/2013 09:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
<snip>

After 38 years on the job, I have now been retired for one year.
After that battery blew up you can be sure I never took any dangerous risks again.
BTW: The guy who was my boss eventually got fired and no one shed any tears for him.
On 12/30/2013 6:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I related the experience to a friend who described his experience. Apparently, the problem was an open-circuit internal to the battery. When he took his back, the dealer accused him of being too dumb to charge a battery and took it out back. When the charger turned on, the spark was internal to the battery and blew acid everywhere.
On 12/30/2013 6:39 AM, philo wrote:

That's excellent emergency advice. But it GROSSLY understates the situation. Ask any blind person if they wish they'd done whatever caused their blindness differently. There is ZERO excuse for not wearing eye protection when dealing with batteries.

On 12/30/2013 07:52 PM, mike wrote:

When I started my job 38 years ago, there were practically no safety regulations...you would not have believed it.
On 12/30/2013 8:39 AM, philo wrote:

I've seen several batteries explode and most were cause by stupid smokers using a cigaret lighter as a light source to see what the water level in a battery was. They are usually the same sort of idiots who refill a gas tank with a lit cigaret in their mouth. I've seen them standing in front of a huge, "NO SMOKING WITHIN 100 FEET" sign and light up a smoke. I really believe in natural selection but the idiots wind up taking innocent people with them. o_O
TDD
On 12/30/2013 7:57 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Often enough that people are warned to not mess around with them like an idiot. Even then...
My old geometry teacher had one blow up in his face while he was trying to jump a car. Third degree burns along cheeks, chin and neck. Blind for a couple of weeks, too.
On 12/30/2013 12:45 PM, Irreverent Maximus wrote:

Yep...most of the time that people get killed, it only happens that one time.
On 12/30/2013 1:32 PM, philo wrote:

One of the nice things about getting older. The "hey, watch this" thing wears off.
On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 08:57:28 -0500, Stormin Mormon

The battery on the old 1949 Massey Harris tractor developed a poor inter-cell connection. Occaisionally it would not crank over. One day it cranked a few times but did not start. I released the starter and tried again - POW!!!! - away went the battery.
I was teaching a grade 10 automotive class, the subject was battery safety - how to safely disconnect, connect, and handle automotive batteries. A smart-assed army brat who had his Pontiac station wagon in to do some work on it obviously wasn't listening, as when the students were released to go work in the shop he tried starting the old iron indian and he wore the battery down. He decided to take it out and put in his other battery - and removed the positive battery cable first - and drew a spark. Blew the bottom right out of the battery.
I was working in my brother's shop,using a hand grinder to remove a rusted nut - while he had a motorcycle battery on charge about 15 feet away on the workbench. A stray spark from the grinder managed to find it's way to the bench = and the battery disintegrated.
That's just 3 memorable incidents that stick out in my mind (of quite a few over the last almost 50 years)

I shorted a large battery once. If the caps were not off, I'm sure it would have. There were 6 fountains of liquid hitting the vans ceiling.
Greg

On 12/30/2013 7:47 AM, philo wrote:

I salvage dead UPS units all the time and most of them only need new batteries. I have a 1000 watt on the floor, a 750 on the counter, four 500's and a 350 running right now with several more I obtained that need batteries. I use the AGM batteries which have a higher capacity than the originals and fit in the same slot. I'm amazed at the folks who will trash the units when they only need new batteries. Of course I take the bad batteries to a recycler. My UPS units not only keep the computers and routers up when the power fails but keep my CFL and LED lights on for some time. I can always shut down the computer equipment and keep the lights on. ^_^
TDD
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 19:55:35 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

Even an inverter requires all of the transfer equipment/care that a generator does, and a twist-lock single outlet/plug for a furnace can be made code compliant and will allow you to unplug the furnace and direct connect it to a generator - or a 3 way switch can be used to "transfer" the furnace from the grid to the generator.

generator and will have an interlock onmy new breaker panel when it is installed next spring.
On Sunday, December 29, 2013 5:57:07 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Exactly.
and a twist-lock single outlet/plug for a furnace can

This has been discussed here many times and as I seem to recall the best evidence has been that it does not meet the NEC requirements. You can't use a plug and cord to connect a piece of permanent eqquipment that is not listed to be connected that way. Still, as someone else posted, it's probably acceptable to inspectors in some places.

run time for your furnace, and most likely by the time the battery is down to 50% it won't START the furnace any more.
the batterys will fail over time, your far better off with a generator, 2nd best would be a inverter connected to your cars battery