Battery-backup emergency lighting

Page 1 of 3
I may be writing to the wrong newsgroup. If so, I hope someone will direct me to the correct one.
I have already taken certain emergency precautions. I had a security system installed that includes direct connection to a home base for glass breaks, fire, etc. (a home base that would then call police if I do not respond with the correct password). I also left battery-powered fire/smoke detectors in place even after installing the new system because they have emergency lights that would be activated in the event to fire, and I have lots of flashlights throughout the house. Nevertheless, a very simple event happened tonight that showed me very clearly how vulnerable we would be if we really needed to exit the house quickly. We suddenly lost power, with no warning -- no storm, nothing. As luck would have it, I was sitting at the computer, and that is one of the few area of the house with no flashlights. Everything was *pitch* black, and it took me an inordinate amount of time to feel my way through the house to a desk where I could get a flashlight. If that had really been a fire, I'm sure I would not have made it!
I realize that there are some little plug-in lights available that come on when electricity is off. I used to have several, but they never seemed to last very long. So, my question is, can anyone recommend a good emergency setup to handle situations such as what I just described? Should I just buy some more of those little plug-in units, or is there a better setup available (but something that is feasible for a home -- not a commercial type of establishment)?
Thanks, MaryL
MaryL wrote:

It depends on your needs and wants. Generally in an emergency you don't need an extended period of light. If you have a fire, you will be out of there quickly. On the other hand if you want something more, maybe to provide minimal light in the event of a power outage you need something different. That might be a back-up power supply, or light sources that you can turn on as needed.
BTW I have seen some emergency lights that offer a guild light that would stay on for a long time and can be removed from the outlet and used as a common flashlight, but for less time.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
You can get any type of backup you can dream up, and you pay every month to keep things charged, you should Google your offerings are endless. Didnt your computer have a UPS you could of had a light plugged into.

I googled for emergency lights and primarily found (1) the little plug-in devices that I tried to describe in my original message and (2) large commercial-type lighting signs with "exit," which I obviously do not need.
I have UPS ports but didn't even know that lights can be plugged into it. The irony is that I have flashlights in almost every other room, but it didnt' occur to me to place one in this room and didn't realize how long it could take to feel my way in a completely darkened house to find a flashlight -- despite the fact that I have lived here for some time and know the house very well. The house was *absolutely black.*
MaryL

I only want a short-term emergency supply so we could quickly escape in the event of a true emergency (such as a fire). On the other hand, I want something reliable and the little plug-ins that I previously had provided so little light that I am not certain how good that would be and they stopped recharging after a very short time.
MaryL
MaryL wrote: ...

I would suggest going with the commercial units. Some are not too expensive and new technology had helped reduce the cost improve reliability and reduce maintenance.
BTW as with any system you expect to work when needed, plan on regular testing.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
You can pick up small ledlights that go on your keychain. We recently had an outage at work and the emergency lights did not work! Everyone that I gave them to loved them at that time!
You can also get glow in the dark paint which you could paints as a stripe at the bottom of the walls!
http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2
Not cheap but requires no electricity!
Wayne
MaryL wrote:

Thanks for the information. The problem with the keychain is that this device is likely to be in my purse -- and I couldn't find my way to my purse in the dark! The paint sounds interesting.
MaryL

Build the thing into a <religious artifact of your choice> and wear it around your neck. Or glue it to your medi-alert tags.

Actually those small key chain lights might be the best solution anyway
What think you?

I don't think they would be practical because they are only available if I had the key chain *with me,* and I normally keep my keys on the kitchen counter or in my purse. In this case, I was in the computer room at the back of the house. I need something to help me get out quickly in the event of an emergency. Lose small lights on key chains are fine for someone who needs to get *into* the house and has the keychain in hand.
MaryL

Put a small one on a chain around your neck,then it will be with you almost everywhere.
Get your belly button pierced and hang one from the ring. ;-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:13:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

At around a dollar apeice, you can just store one on top of every doorway in the house.

Kinda what I was thinking
Serious
MaryL wrote:

The best thing would be a small standby generator that would kick in automatically. They are powered by natural gas or propane. They are expensive though. See http://www.kohlerpowersystems.com/residential_which.html for one option.

Thanks. I'm looking for something smaller and easier to use than a generator. I actually did look into standby generators after Hurricane Rita but decided that there are some safety and mechanical requirements that would be more than I wanted to handle. So, I'm just looking for enough light to escape quickly in the event of an emergency -- something battery-powered that I could install in central locations, but bright enought to actually be useful (again, to escape -- not for a normal light source).
MaryL
<snip>

As for ease of use - They can be set up so everything is automatic. No starting or anything. They are safe.
We used something like these in our church, maybe this is what you want. http://www.mulelighting.com/details.asp?id ( or http://www.costlesslighting.com/acatalog/Catalog_Emergency_Lighting_5.html

Yes, the first one looks great (similar to those mentioned in one other message). This is exactly the type I had in mind.
Thanks! MaryL
MaryL wrote:

The glow from your monitor should provide enough illumination to allow you access to a flashlight, especially if you keep a flashlight in your computer desk's bottom drawer.
Your monitor -- and computer -- ARE plugged in to a UPS (uninterruptible power supply), are they not?
The UPS is number THREE on the the list of proper computer precautions (frequent backups is number one, surge protection is number two). There is no number four, five, six, all the way down to forty-two. Number forty-three is a bottle of glass cleaner.

Yes, I do have a UPS (I think it gives me about 15 minutes of time after a power outage). However, I powered it off before I realized that the rest of the house was so dark that I couldn't find my way through without literally touching everything to figure out where I was. I now have a flashlight in this room, but I didn't last night! And last night's experience was a good warning about how long it can take to get through a completely darkened house, even if you "think" you know the house well.
MaryL