Battery acid

I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any way to dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.

Reply to
fsviatko

I use household ammonia, works good. Use in well ventilated area. WW

Reply to
WW

Small wire brush with baking soda and water.

Or just scrape it off.

Reply to
Thomas

Is the flashlight worth all that effort? Or is this one of those "gotta see if I can do it" projects (that I often get involved in )

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Mix baking soda with water, pour over acid areas.

nb

Reply to
notbob

As others have noted, it is quite unlikely that you had an acid type battery in a flashlight. In all probability the battery is an alkaline chemistry, in which case a mild acid soak in vinegar may help.

Reply to
Pete C.

I actually have a couple of rechargeable LED flashlights that use starved electrolyte lead acid batteries.

Reply to
clare

Most likely NOT acid, but Alkaline - in which case you could try vinegar- - - - -

Reply to
clare

Bingo....

if the battery was an alkaline type, alkaline batteries are prone to leaking potassium hydroxide, a caustic agent

netralize with vinegar

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

mild solution of baking soda will dissolve it. you can also use ammonia

Reply to
bpuharic

My description was wrong the flashlight is a Maglite LED three cell with Duracell alkaline batteries. Thanks for all who replied for your help.

Reply to
fsviatko

duracell will replace it if you send it to them.

Reply to
chaniarts

Yep, a friend of mine had a $500 piece of test equipment replaced. He was about to toss it when I suggested he call the 800 number on the batteries that leaked. A little postage to ship it to them and a couple weeks later a brand new unit arrived.

Reply to
Pete C.

We used them a lot on research projects (NASA). The ones we used were X cells, somewhat larger than D cells:

DT

I had the same problem with a 3 D cell capacity Maglight. I filled it with white vinegar. You can see the bubbling as the vinegar neutralizes the acid.

Reply to
willshak

With alkaline batteries?

Reply to
krw

willshak wrote in news:C4idnfiJ7LZEC8vQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

vinegar IS an acid,and it neutralizes the ALKALINE electrolyte(not acid) of the battery.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

well, yes, because vinegar is an acid.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Now ask yourself, does "vinegar neutralizes the acid" make any sense with alkaline batteries? If you still don't see the silliness here, does vinegar really neutralize itself? Come on!

Reply to
krw

te:

=3D=3D There, I corrected the posting...now are you all happy? =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy