Battery acid

Page 1 of 2
I have a flashlight that leaked battery acid. Is there any way to dissolve this acid or just scrape it off as best I can.
Add pictures here
✖

I use household ammonia, works good. Use in well ventilated area. WW
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 11, 9:59 am, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Small wire brush with baking soda and water.
Or just scrape it off.
Add pictures here
✖

Most likely NOT acid, but Alkaline - in which case you could try vinegar- - - - -
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 11, 6:59 am, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Is the flashlight worth all that effort? Or is this one of those "gotta see if I can do it" projects (that I often get involved in <g>)
HB
Add pictures here
✖

Mix baking soda with water, pour over acid areas.
nb
Add pictures here
✖

As others have noted, it is quite unlikely that you had an acid type battery in a flashlight. In all probability the battery is an alkaline chemistry, in which case a mild acid soak in vinegar may help.
Add pictures here
✖

Bingo....
if the battery was an alkaline type, alkaline batteries are prone to leaking potassium hydroxide, a caustic agent
netralize with vinegar
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 10:29:49 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

I actually have a couple of rechargeable LED flashlights that use starved electrolyte lead acid batteries.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:59:16 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

mild solution of baking soda will dissolve it. you can also use ammonia
Add pictures here
✖

My description was wrong the flashlight is a Maglite LED three cell with Duracell alkaline batteries. Thanks for all who replied for your help.
Add pictures here
✖

duracell will replace it if you send it to them.
Add pictures here
✖
chaniarts wrote:

Yep, a friend of mine had a $500 piece of test equipment replaced. He was about to toss it when I suggested he call the 800 number on the batteries that leaked. A little postage to ship it to them and a couple weeks later a brand new unit arrived.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote the following:

I had the same problem with a 3 D cell capacity Maglight. I filled it with white vinegar. You can see the bubbling as the vinegar neutralizes the acid.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

With alkaline batteries?
Add pictures here
✖
On 02/12/2011 11:26 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

well, yes, because vinegar is an acid.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Now ask yourself, does "vinegar neutralizes the acid" make any sense with alkaline batteries? If you still don't see the silliness here, does vinegar really neutralize itself? Come on!
Add pictures here
✖
On 02/12/2011 04:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

well ,they're *alkaline* batteries, which vinegar will neutralize!
OP is guilty of gross misunderstanding and/or misspeaking, but other than that...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
✖

You're simply demonstrating your illiteracy.

You're guilt of illiteracy, but that's nothing new.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote the following:

Yes, I made a mistake in saying vinegar neutralized the acid. I meant the other way around.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY