Batteries for cordless phones?

We have a very fancy Uniden CLX-485 phone system. While it worked great for 2+ years, the batteries lost their ability to charge.
My attempt to buy "generic oem batteries" ended up with garbage batteries that will not hold charge.
My first question is WTF. Is it really so difficult to make a good rechargeable battery?
My second question is, is anyone aware of an honest seller of batteries?
✖
On Mar 5, 8:12 am, Ignoramus15384 <ignoramus15...@NOSPAM. 15384.invalid> wrote:

Amazon.com
Two batteries for my panasonic phones delivered for $25. They now work like new.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 5, 7:12 am, Ignoramus15384 <ignoramus15...@NOSPAM. 15384.invalid> wrote:

Radio Shack have always worked for me, are contacts clean it might be something else. Cut some of the wrapper off a pack if you have Sanyo or Panasonic cells you can not do better.
Add pictures here
✖
After having similar + other problems with expensive cordless phones I decided to try the ultra cheap cordless phones = UNDER $15 available at Target and Wal-Mart. The first phone was under $13 and lasted two years with very good service. I threw that in the trash when the batteries gave up and bought a cordless for $14 at Target. I have lost track but it is older than 3 years and still working fine. I'll never buy an expensive cordless again.
cm

Add pictures here
✖

It's also possible that something other than the battery is at fault, eg, charger, phone is partially kaput and drawing excessive current, etc. I've bought generic cell phone batteries on Ebay for $6 and they worked fine.
Add pictures here
✖
Very often, the metal contacts between the handset and the base get dirty. So, it might not be fully charging. Clean them with Q-tip and a bit of WD-40. Spray the WD on the cotton tip, and scrub the contacts.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Eraser on a number 2 pencil, and rubbing alcohol on the Q-tip, works a lot better than wd40.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖

Spit would work bettern than wd40. Kerosine and mineral oil are lousy conductors.
More likely than poor contacts are a phone with a mediocre charging circuit and a ruined battery.
Add pictures here
✖
cm wrote:

I found an expensive waterproof cordless phone at a thrift store for $2.00 and gave it to a friend who uses it a lot. The thing is still going strong after a year. I find a lot of phones at thrift stores and most only need simple repairs or cleaning of contacts.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

*I have seen this happen a few times with my own phones and friends and family. Try cleaning the contacts on the charger, the phone, and if possible, the battery. They usually don't look dirty or corroded, but it has worked every time for me. My mother returned batteries to Radio Shack twice saying that they were defective. I cleaned the contacts and it has been fine ever since. I use a clean pencil eraser and a Q tip with some alcohol.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 5, 7:12 am, Ignoramus15384 <ignoramus15...@NOSPAM. 15384.invalid> wrote:

I don't remember the vendors name, but someone on Ebay had NI-Mi batteries for Uniden, When mine went weak, I replaced the Nicads with those and they have worked well ever since. I get more talk time and they should be quite a few years longer life. I really needed the boost in talk time, my wife like to talk long dissonance, and previously would run one phone out & switch to the other.
Add pictures here
✖

'long dissonance'? <G> You sly fox!
Joe