Batteries

Am disabled & am using an electric scooter to get around outside. Put in 2 new batteries ( lead acid type ) (U1 Ah SLA ) the start of last summer & by late summer one went bad & was replaced under warrantee . Now the remaining one of the original pair is starting to go & was wondering if it would be ok to run with the some what new one from last fall & put in a new one before much longer to replace the one going bad. OR be best to keep the somewhat used one & put in 2 brand new ones now ?? On S.S. so funds are limited.......Thanks Gimpy..
Dear Gimpy, I have no formal experience with power scooters. Only experience I've had was briefly being able to work on a power wheel chair for a woman I dated some years ago. My guess is the motors on your scooter are 24 volts. This means that both batteries are supplying the same amperage (current) to the motor. With an unmatched set, the one battery will go dead a lot sooner. The new battery will be under much greater load. Being unevenly yoked, so to speak. So, your new battery will go dead sooner. It isn't what you wanted to hear, but I'm guessing that in the long run you will find it cheaper to replace both batteries at the same time. Used 12 volt batteries are useful to HAM radio operators, CB radio users, and folks like me who are into emergency prep. Might also be useful for someone who's trying to make an extra capacity Uninterruptable Power Supply for his computer. Wish I could save you a few bucks. I suspect a two- battery replacement will be cheaper in the long run.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.