Bats

Page 2 of 2
Thanks everyone. DJ

I used to have these in my attic, and I grew to enjoy and value them. They are great bug eaters and quite amusing. I was sad when they packed up and left after I had new siding put on (even though we left an opening for them).
I agree that you don't want them inside your house but the trick is to live in harmony with them. Often there are local groups that will help. Perhaps your local SPCA can direct you.

keep them around, but I would disagree on having them in my home for any reason. Their waste is very toxic, can and does cause stains on ceilings if enough collects, and the animals themselves usually have parasites.

While I like having bats around--they eat an amazing number of insects every day--they do leave batcrap (remember Gen. Bat Guano from Dr. Strangelove?) and have parasites and occasionally rabies. I have heard (which means I haven't tried it myself) that since bats don't like light, if you hang a lightbulb in the attic, they'll leave.

Not true on the light bulb info. The following is from the FAQ at http://www.batmanagement.com/Batcentral/FAQs.html#anchor1052835
--
Will putting a lit work-light in the area where I think they are living
make them want to find another place to live, or is this just an old