Bathtub stain

My vinyl? some kind of not porcelain ? bathtub has a nasty blackish stain on the narrow front ledge just under the faucets. I have applied mildewcide several times. Also applied bleach. Also tried SofScrub. Nada.
I don't know what the stain could be from.
Is there anything else I can try?

I would guess you have a fiberglass tub and you might try one of the products make just for that. Keep in mind that it may not be removable and that using the wrong products on it can damage the finish making matters worse. However I would guess the products you have used should normally be fiberglass safe.
On Sep 6, 4:11 am, snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

Yep, that's it -- fiberglas.
I should add that stain runs along the seam that connects tub to wall. The rest of the "seam" doesn't show that stain.
This might tie in with comment by another poster about possible water leak.
(a) I keep faucets firmly closed. So how/why would water leak create blackish stain on the *outside* rather than in the wall (sob!)
(b) If true, what do I need to do (sob!) ?
I will look for fiberglas cleaning prods, but not much hope, considering what I have already tried.
Tx to all, and I welcome more thoughts.

Update: I tried mildewcide one more time. N.G. I got sodisgusted I took an old screwdriver to the grout, and guess what? The tub is perfectly clean. It was the GROUT that was stained.
OK, I now face the disagreeable job of removing the grout and replacing it, which I'm not very good at.
But it does raise the question: Why did the mildewcide not work on the grout?
Inquiring minds...
Artful Dodger wrote:

insufficient cleaning before caulking. I assume that you meant to say that you removed caulk from between tub and wall? If so, Clean it EXTREMELY well (and carefully so's not to scratch the fiberglass). Then wipe with denatured alcohol to get grease off. Dry. Wipe joint with full strength bleach. Let dry. Apply new silicone caulk.
A nylon scrubber (not 3M abrasive stuff) with full strength Dawn dish detergent should get all of your soap scum off fiberglass. Rinse, dry. Scrubbing Bubbles is a great cleaner, too S.B. is the best tub/tile cleaner I have ever used - wish I had discovered it long ago. Even used it on the kitchen cabinets, floor and fridge :o)

Ditto to above and there is a tool for the removal of grout to use on a drill or dremel has worked good for me, Mildewcide only works on the surface of the grout as a rule pleach is the best for killing it mildew that is .

Is it worth my while to buy that tool for my drill? Any ballpark $$?
Tx for suggestion.

I find it much faster to do all of the tub surround and the tile work associated with it I believe last one cost me 12 dollars at Rona here in Canada so for what it is worth beats picking it out by hand . Remember this will have to be done again in the future it is the nature of silcone and soap and water mould . The best secret I know is get the best high output fan you can and dry the room out as fast after the shower as you can, don't let it sit wet as this is when the mould will start dry is the key.

What *is* this tool you can use in a drill or dremel, that makes it much easier to remove the grout?
Thanks!
David
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote in wrote:

A grout removal bit. Comes in 1/16" & 1/8" widths.
The best fiberglass tub cleaner I have ever used is Easy Off oven cleaner. Lou

No, actually WITHIN it, is the only way I can express it.
Common problem, due to

Puzzling thing is that the caulk was in place for YEARS before that blackish-grey stain began to appear.
I assume that you meant to say

Basically, yes. Due to my poor caulking skills, quite a bit of overlap lay on the tub surface.
If so, Clean it EXTREMELY well

So many people mention Dawn! Can it really be any different than all the other liquid dish soaps??
Rinse, dry. Scrubbing Bubbles is a great

Will look it up. I've lately been using Greased Lightning, that my helper recommended after I had surgery. Anybody can compare GL with SB? I'd be interested in your experience.
Thanks for step-by-step rundown on cleaning & prep before new caulk.
I guess everybody has their favorite brand? What's yours -- keeping in mind tub is fiberglas.
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 19:51:08 -0700 (PDT), Artful Dodger

CLR. But, you may want to investigate a possible slow leak.