Bathtub refinishing - DIY?

Got a tub that's going downhill quickly. Looks like previous owner just painted it, and now the paint is peeling and chipping and I don't want my wife and kids getting out of the tub with paint chips all over them.

Googled a couple of sites that offer DIY kits, does anyone have any experience with these?

Any recommendations?

TIA

Reply to
James R. Lunsford

get a pro, that is what i did. it will last 5 to 7 years. can not use bleach to clean. i think they put a electric charge on tub when the spray. this is a stop gap way till you rip the tub out. my tub looks great for the last 4 years. told to use 409 to clean it. i think it cost me between 300 to 400 dollars.

Reply to
jdk

Everyplace that I have read this it doesn't work for very long. Just get a new tub and be done with it.

Reply to
scott21230

If it's done by a professional, it is a reasonable stop gap measure that will hold you for several years. The cost is about the same as having a pro install a new tub. What you save is the cost of tearing out and replacing the tile or surround, whichever you have.

I can't speak to the DIY kits -- I'd be afraid to try them and I'd worry the results would end up like the peeling paint.

I'd bite the bullet ... put in a soaker tub, new faucets and new tile. Then you're done for a couple of decades.

Your circumstances may not permit that, or you may only want something for a few years.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

Another option... Home Depot sells a entire enclosure. It gets fitted over the walls and tub. Looks pretty crappy but again it depends what you want to do.

If I owned the house I would just rip out the old tub and put another cast iron one in. Retile the walls and some new plumbing. If done right it'll last a real long time.

Tom

(pretty cheezy IMHO)

Reply to
BocesLib

For best results and longest life replace the tub. For good results and reasonable life, have it done professionally, for less than ideal results and short life, do it yourself making 100% sure you don't skimp the prep work in any way.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Did mine about 7 years ago with the DIY kit from Lowes. It is starting to peel. The Prep is the key. Follow the directions to the T. 7 Years is good for this type of repair. I just had another one done by the Miracle Method. They sprayed it and so far it looks real nice. It was a green tub to start with. They also told us not bleach and to clean it with 409. You will have to make your own decision as to what and how much you want to spend at this point.

LJ

Reply to
old_Boat

old_Boat wrote: ..

It appears you did a good job. Congratulations.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

you could get bathfitters where they recover the tub and surround. a friend did that it turned out nice.

Reply to
hallerb

"old_Boat" wrote in news:48QKf.120982$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

The Question is;can the Miracle pros take a tub that's already been "refinished" by an amateur(and peeling) and properly redo it?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"James R. Lunsford" in news:VgFKf.8499$lR2.6116@trndny01:

i assume no one would do this unless the tub was sheet steel or fiberglas?

cast iron shouldn't need 'refinishing'. but some day i want to try polishing one that has become dull on the walking areas (which makes the tub difficult to clean well).

Reply to
Choise76Smu

In time they do, but that time is a very long time and we don't often live long enough to see it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yes but they told me that it would cost a lot more ( almost double) because they have to remove the DIY refinishing first. At this point, it may be worth it to replace it.

LJ

Reply to
old_Boat