Bathtub refinish in SF bay area - questions about the process and so on

Dear all, has anyone in the San Francisco Bay area gotten their old bathtub refinished/reglazed? I have done some research and have narrowed down to two companies:

Here is the bathtub that we are trying to refinish with Kohler Almond color.

Company "Quality Refinishing": will charge $485 for basic work

  • Will apply 6-8 layers of glaze
  • Process: require 3-4 hours of work time, then 48 hours to dry. (only come once?)
  • Color: they said that they have "bone" color but I'm not sure whether it's an exact match color of "Kohler almond"... for custom color they would charge for more
  • No web site, not sure with BBB or not
  • not sure whether they use epoxy paint or urethane finish coats

Company "Mr. Bathtub": will charge $525 for the work

  • Will apply several layers of glaze (didn't mention)
  • Process: require 2-4 hours of work time, then come back the next day to finish up
  • Color: has Kohler almond color as one of their "in stock" color
  • Use urethane finish coats
  • Has web site
    and with BBB

Just wondering anyone has any experience with these two companies and if so could you please provide some feedback on them? Also Mr. Bathtub if you click on the "Process" tab you will see them mentioned something about "proprietary bonding agent".. does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

Reply to
W.H.

"W.H." wrote in news:8de925ed-706b-45e5-9f97- snipped-for-privacy@d50g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Google your local BBB and you can run a check on them.

No real experience,but;

I've read that the urethane final finishes are best,keep their gloss better over time,don't yellow like Epoxy finishes.(affects white more than colored finishes)

they still demand the use of non-abrasive cleaners like 409.

the bonding agent makes the epoxy undercoats adhere better. I suspect the 2nd choice Mr.Bathtub has a better warranty,too,should be at least 5 years,some do 10 yrs.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I understand those refinish jobs only last about 5 years which is ok if you just flip the house.

Reply to
** Frank **

After looking at the picture, it's unclear to me why you want to refinish it. Perhaps you coan repost another picture of the inside of the tub afer you have removed all the plastic containers in it and given it a good cleaning. I assume that the tub is cast iron?

Reply to
scott21230