Bathtub Questions

The plastic tub in our bathroom has cracked and needs to be replaced.

In looking around I have found that it would be most cost effective to go with an enameled steel tub with a tile surround with myself providing all the labor.

I have heard some people say not to use a steel tub, and I would like to hear some more opinions on the subject.

Personally I like the steel tubs they are basic, seem durable and are cheap.

Keep in mind that money is an issue in this case.

Also, on sizes, in measuring my current tub it seems to be 59 1/2 inches from wall to wall, is a 60" tub going to fit? I am assuming the drywall is taking up an inch or so.....

Thanks Tim

Reply to
Tim

Why do they say not to use steel tubs? Ask them if they have any long term experience with both types.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

How much does your "new" steel tub weigh? Can you/friends lift it? Can it fit through your bathroom door?

Reply to
DaddyMonkey

There are 2 grades of metal tubs. The people who are saying not to use the steel ones mean don't use the cheap grade. They don't hold up.

Reply to
Art

people believe that steel tubs chip easy and wear quick compared to cast iron tubs. i would go with cast iron but i am no expert.

Reply to
jdk

There are grades of steel tubs. The good ones are fine. They are also a lot lighter than cast iron. I will agree that cast iron is better, but unless you have Buba and eight of his friends along with a crane to lift it, I would stick with steel, you only need two Bubas and a couple of normal humans for that.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I recently need to do something about my tub. It was a steel tub and it was installed when the house was built in 1983. I wanted a cast iron tub but they cost $300 at Home Depot plus lots of money to install and the tile would have to come down and be replaced.

I ended up having my tub refinished and I'm quite happy with it. The tile is fine and didn't have to be replaced so I saved money there.

Most tubs seem to be standard size. If your old one was installed in the last

20 years a new one should fit.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

"Tim"

I liked mine, (actually I think it was cast iron) but I don't take baths, just showers, and when I remodeled, I tore it out and put in a shower only.

Just how cheap do are you? I bet you could find a used one for free being pulled out of a remodel job. Call some remodelers in your area, save them disposal cost and hassles.

It'll probably fit.

Tubs these days come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes. 60 1/8" rough opening (stud to stud) dimensions are pretty standard---the tub normally goes in before sheetrock or tile. If you are going to tile the surround you probably want to tear out the sheetrock and install cement board as a substrate. And you may want to check the rough in dimension for the wastewater drain too.

Most manufacturers have detailed spec sheets and installation instructions on their websites. For example:

Will Niccolls

Reply to
Will Niccolls