Bathtub question

Hello All:

I want to remove the knob that moves my pop-up plug for the drain up and down.

I tried to pull this knob but it is not moving. I looked around for a set screw. There is none.

I have photos of the knob at:

Is there any trick to removing this type of knob?

I need to remove it to open the clogged drain.

Thanks!

Deguza

Reply to
Kompu Kid

If your referring to the sink pop up in bathroom, go below the sink and where the rod is connected to the sink..there is a clip that holds them together...slide that clip outward and that should free the connection and you should be able to remove it. BTW, maybe this is intentional, but your link goes straight to Windows live.

Reply to
noel888

Sorry, i read your post again...you did say 'bathtub'...I got confused with the pop-up of the sink in bathrooms. Why ask in this frugal forum..you would be better off in so many of those "How do I..." forums which can be found by googling it? I still say that link of yours takes me directly to windows live...go figure.

Reply to
noel888

Most likely, you have to take off the part that is attached to the vertical surface of the tub first. After you take that off, the knob you are referring to will probably have a cotter pin or similar connection in the back. The knob is connected to a metal wire/rod that drops down behind the tub and that is connected to a brass plunger/stopper at the end. The plunger/stopper is what stops the water from draining out when it is in the right position. The whole setup comes up and out of the tub through the hole that is in the vertical wall of the tub behind the piece that covers the whole.

Usually, there are two screws in the piece that attaches to the vertical wall of the tub. Yours looks different, so there may be a little cap/cover over where the connecting screws are, or maybe there is some other way that the piece is connected.

If you can see a brand name pr> Hello All:

RonABC

Sorry, i read your post again...you did say 'bathtub'...I got confused with the pop-up of the sink in bathrooms. Why ask in this frugal forum..you would be better off in so many of those "How do I..." forums which can be found by googling it? I still say that link of yours takes me directly to windows live...go figure.

Nothing wrong with his link...Must be something on your end...Do you know what brand it is??? Hard to give info without that..Also you can check the manufacturers website if you know what brand it is....

Reply to
benick

re: Nothing wrong with his link...Must be something on your end

What ever is wrong on his end is wrong on my end too.

Link goes to a Windows Live page entitled Bath Tub and shows 2 "images" that contain the dreaded red X.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

.

I am sorry that the link is not working. I checked it from my end without signing on to hotmail. It seems to be there.

What the pictures depict is a somewhat rounded triangular knob. There are no external fasteners (i.e. no screws, pins, etc). I am afraid to pull this too hard, in case there is a different way of removing it.

I wish we could post photos on usenet along with our text...

Deguza

Reply to
Kompu Kid

Unfortunately there are no manufacturer's name or insignia.

I am afraid to pull the metallic part too hard in case it is attached a different way. (I turned it counterclockwise to see if it is screwed on, but that did not help either.)

What I am looking for is somebody who has seen and had first hand experience with this exact knob to tell me how to remove it.

Once it is removed, it is got to be the way you described.

Anybody out in the Cyber world that has dealt with this type of knob?

Thanks anyway.

Deguza

Reply to
Kompu Kid

Don & Lucille

Your link worked for me. For those for whom the link did not work, maybe they could do a copy and paste of the link text into the address bar and try it that way.

Due to the reflecti> Unfortunately there are no manufacturer's name or insignia.

Reply to
RonABC

This looks just like one I encountered at my parents house about a year ago. You need to go to the back of the tub. Likely the knob is pressed onto a shaft that goes into the vertical drain. That shaft will have a nut on it. Remove the drain pipe and or nut and it will all come apart. I recall it was a bitch to reassemble.

Reply to
Art

The link worked for me as well but as Ron said...the relfections made it difficult to interpret the photos.

I have seen this type before (friend's house in the 70's) but never removed the knob.

I think Ron is correct about that "cap"...but I would use a sharp chisel or putty knife rather than risk a kitchen knife.

OP- Cover the drain with a wash cloth so you dont lose anything down the drain. Get some Liquid wrench to put on the set screw and the pop- up linkage so you can free it up.

The closeup photos were good for detail but an overall all shot would have been helpful to establish context and making understanding the closeups easier.

let us know how this works out.

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

Hello:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked at the knob one more time. Unfortunately there is no inset cap. I looked at the photo and found out that it is piece of hair that got stuck on the cap that looks like the outline of a hole!

Last night I used some sort of an enzyme to unclog, but it did not work.

Today I am going to get a big rag and cover the whole area and try the plunger one more time.

If I can get that knob off, I will get rid of rest of the assembly, and go to a simpler press-on type of drain plug. From what I read on internet, the mechanism inside the pipes is a major cause of problems with the bathtubs.

Deguza

Reply to
Kompu Kid

Usually there is access to the back side of these fixtures through a removable panel on the OTHER side of the wall from the tub. May be in the back of a closet or something. Access to the back of the tub may help clarify how things are attached and connected. -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

This probably doesn't help, but here is a link I found by doing a "Google Images" search:

It's not your exact item, but I started wondering if you have a "Cable-Operated Bath Waste" system (which I never heard of before doing the search).

Reply to
RonABC

I suspect that too. My mechanism is as pictured in TOH:

and clearing tub drains is tricky.

Reply to
Frank

I've been in a plethora of houses and have NEVER seen an access panel for the back of the tub hardware... Now in modulars and mobiles, yes, but not in stick built houses.

Steve Barker

The face plate looks like a Gerber drain set up. It's been 10 years or so, since I've been involved in remodeling, but IIRC, they just pop on/off.

or

James D

OP-

What is the real problem here? You are asking for a "solution".... how do I remove the knob?

but removing the knob may not be what is needed.

Now you you're talking about "enzyme to unclog" and "plunger".....sounds like a clogged drain.

What is condition that you are trying to fix?

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

The OP's original post says clogged drain.

Reply to
James D