Bathtub paint

I have a chip in the steel tub, which has been there for many years. The steel tub is rusting in that spot. Its something which should have been taken care of years ago, but figured the bathroom would be remodeled by now. It ain't gonna happen.
I checked into these refinishers. Heh! For what they want, I could rip the walls out, install the tub, new floor....... anyways, I'm not biting on their "savings".
The bathmat actually covers the spot, so it's not an eyesore. I just want to make sure it doesn't rust through, and force me to remodel.
Any cost saving ideas welcome! Sand & paint? Type of paint?
Thanks
Larry

How big a chipout? quarter size,or softball or larger?
you can buy inexpensive repair kits at Lowes and HD for small chips,typically an epoxy.You have to remove any and all rust and loose material before filling the chipout.Matching the original color may be a problem,if you're worried about that. I'm told there are Pros who can do chip repair to a like new condition,home builders use them.
Or you could buy a kit of Tough as Tile ($35-$45)and refinish the whole tub,(after filling in the chipout);it comes in brush-on or spray cans. it's not easy leaning over the tub while you're painting with the brush- on,but you don't have to mask off to prevent overspray from spraycans. You get a smoother finish with the spray. If you do refinish,you can't use bleach products,and NO abrasive cleaners,can't use the tub for three days. The bleaches makes the finish yellow,and the other removes the gloss. Tough as Tile recommends Simple Green and Scrubbing Bubbles.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Second that. The pros come in with all their gear, including propane torches to re-establish the porcelain (or whatever) finish.
philazran had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Bathtub-paint-386623-.htm :
HeyBub wrote:

QUALITY 1 Services quality bathtub & Tiles refinishing www.bath-renew.com /o)\\ \\(o/
philazran had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Bathtub-paint-386623-.htm : Hi ,
im very curious how did you get to a conclusion that repairing it with a tub refinisher will cost you like the cost of replacement+re-tiling the floors and the walls.
professional refinisher will eliminate your rust , will fill the chip with water resistent filler and spray with an air brush a matched color coating on the effected spot.
that should cost you no more than 200$.
BTW, as far as i know , nobody can create new porcelain in house conditions. meaning , nobody can repair your tub with real new porcelain. if you know about someone like that , i'd like to meet him. :-)
thanks buddy
phil azran bathtub refinishing http://www.bath-renew.com Montreal, QC