Bathtub Liners vs. Refinishing

Our bathtub is old, scratched and cruddy. We were wondering about having a vinyl liner put over it along with a wall surround unit to cover the tile. How does this compare with just simply having the tub refinished? Pros/cons?
What is the cost of something like this? Any suggestions on what company to use? How long does it take to do (i've heard only 1 day for the liner). Does the liner really last a lifetime and stay clean without mildew?
Thanks for your help. no spam--remove last 3 letters in address to respond
I had my tub refinished. Don't remember the cost (not cheap and had to showers at a friends house for a couple of days while it cured/dried) It didn't last too many years before it also got discolored and started peeling. I just had it relined last year so i have no comment pro or con except it makes the inside width smaller for those who want to take a bath with their spouse. I was able to use it to the next day. DSegal1027 wrote:

DSegal1027 wrote:

I asked about price when I saw a reliner at the home show last year. The man said for a bathroom like mine it would be about $1000. I immediately thought $1000-$1500 dollars. I always figure at least a 50 percent increase over what they give you as a quick response.
I have heard that reliners can have problems. They have been known to get water under the liner, and then have a bulge that gives under your feet.
Remember that it isn't a real bath tub, just a sheet of (heavy) plastic over the original.
Bill Gill