Bathtub leak

I've got a bathtub where the drain is leaking. After punching a hole in the ceiling, I see that the gasket under the bathtub is shot.

I suspect that the construction is usual: there is a screw in chrome plated tube that goes thru the topside of the tub, screwing into a cast brass elbow below the tube.

Trouble is, the plumbing is the 1942 original installed when the house was built. There's a fair amount of corrosion under the tub around where the gasket has been leaking. Also, the elbow has about two inches of clearance between two beams, one on each side. The brass elbow is screwed onto galvanized fitted piping that goes all the way to the cast rion stack. Even if I cut that piping, there is no room to get a wrench onto that brass elbow to break it free.

I've seen special wrenches made for the job of gripping the upper inserted tubing. However, I don't see how they can grip this design of upper tubing plus I suspect that the torque required will be great due to the corrosion.

Any suggestions of how to free the upper tubing?

tnx, Doug

Reply to
Doug

Can you get a sawsall with a long bi-metal blade in a position to cut the pipe right at the bottom of the tub? There is usually enough room for the saw blade because of the failed gasket.

Going back will be no problem if you use a high quality schedule 40 PVC pop up tub drain like the one made by Watco. It is a complete glue together except for the through the tub portion which is threaded and screws in from the top.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

I'm not sure that cutting the pipe will help. I still wouldn't be able to get a wrench in there to turn or break free the cast elbow.

I may try lifting the chrome drain lip with a chisel and getting some penetrating oil in there then try to unscrew it after a day or two. As long as I don't crack the tub....

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Due to the difficulty in getting at it, I'd sure be tempted to dig out what part of the gasket remains and apply some sealant to see if that will do the trick.

Sure, it's not the "complete fix", but that sealant will do a better job than the shot gasket has been doing for however many decades since it began to fail.

Joe

Reply to
Joe S

Can you email me a picture of this?

If reading in the group email is mangled. You can figure it out.

If responding to the email I sent, reply will work.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Thanks to all of those who offered advise but I've solved the problem.

I used my Dremel motor tool with a carbide cutoff blade to slice a wedge out of the upper (inner) drain piece. Then using a hammar and chisel, I was able to knock it loose and turn it out.

I dropped a new gasket between the lower elbow and screwed in a new upper drain piece with lots of plumbers putty. So far, so good.

Doug

Reply to
Doug