bathtub leak

The bathtub on the 2nd floor is leaking onto the ceiling of the first floor. I have removed enough wet drywall from that ceiling to be able to see the bottom and the plumbing pipes of the 2nd floor bath tub. There is no water leaking from the pipes, however when I leave the shower running for about 5 minutes water starts leakingdown on to the1st floor ceiling. I have checked all the caulking and it does not seem to have any holes etc in it. The shower has to be running for at least 5 to 7 minutes before it starts leaking. Can you offer any suggestions? Patt

Reply to
Patt

Check the plumbing that goes to the shower head. Maybe the nipple that goes thru the wall is loose?

Reply to
Meat Plow

You don't say what kind of shower walls you have...

When I first moved into my house, the grout between the tiles was so porous that water seeped right through and soaked the plaster. It usually took about 10 minutes for the leaks to appear because the plaster would soak up a lot of the water during the early part of the shower, or all of it if the shower was short enough. If you pushed hard enough on the tiles you could feel the wall flexing, although everything look normal from the tile side.

Reply to
DerbyDad03