Bathtub install questions

We are in the beginning process of remodeling our small family bathroom. We are swiching out the cabinet style sink w/ a pedestal, putting in a new one piece toilet and ripping out the old floor (Including sub floor). Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do w/ the bathtub/shower. Structurally the tub is sound, however it's about 60 years old. It's chipped and dirty no matter how much I clean it. There are flat white ceramic tile in the surround that are in good shape but for the mold issues in the grout. My choices seem to be: leave the tub and surround as is (the worst choice) Have Rebath or something like that, come in and put a new coating over the surround and the tub. Having a new tub and surround installed (from a kit) New tub and ceramic tile (but I'm worried about mold in the grout again)

I really have no idea what the best thing to do would be. We are trying to do this as economically as we can. Any thoughts or ideas?

Reply to
Knit Chic

You could try *painting* the tub yourself. Hardware stores sell epoxy paints specifically for this. Tried it once and it looks OK but I moved shorty after and don't know how it holds up.

Reply to
RayV

The right way to di it is to replace the tub. The paints don't last very long. A few years if you are lucky.

Reply to
scott21230