bathtub draining

Page 2 of 2
On 1/14/2015 6:17 PM, TomR wrote:

Well, it's very possible. As for me, I'd think to try a sink drain snake, and then follow that with boiling water, or hydroxide.
Takes all types to make a world.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/13/2015 11:00 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

overflow with the _wet_ cloth, get a wet/dry vac and suck the trap out. Repeat making sure the trap is filled with water, and make sure the cloth covering the overflow is wet.

Maybe that's because the last empty space, the last hole through the clog, finally got filled.
If hair is the problem, as all of you say, they selll a flexible plastic stick maybe 1/8 or so in diameter with plastic barbs on it, so you push it in like you did your wire, and pull it out (read the directions) and it has several hooks along its length and sounds pretty good.
I had long hair in the late 60's but I've never had a clog.
On 1/15/2015 5:20 AM, micky wrote:

Had a plumber out for a slow tub drain at another home....he ID'd three colors of hair found in the drain (with no prior knowledge of who lived in the home). I was impressed ;o)

Every older drum trap I ever worked on had a brass cover. More than once I had to chisel the cap apart, and buy a new cap. Some places later sold plastic caps, which were less likely to get stuck. And for PVC pipes, they later made PVC drum traps. (which did not get stuck). I'm retired so I dont do much plumbing work anymore except my own stuff, but I have not seen drum traps used on new construction for years. I dont think they worked as well as intended.
If you do open a drum trap, put lots of grease on the threads of the cap when you put the old (or a new) cap back on. (vaseline works too).
On 1/13/2015 10:00 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

update.
had the plumber come visit the 2nd floor bathroom.
my mother told me that he just used this vacuum gun in the drain hole and out came the hair & soap scum.
I think this is the equipment he used based on her description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0HbPHiCVHw

She thought they used one of those power snake equipment, plumber said not for this type of job anymore, much easier to use the gun.
I can see why after seeing the video.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me