bathtub draining

Page 1 of 2
just curious...
what do you do if the bathtub is taking forever to drain?
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
dilbert firestorm wrote:

I clean the hair out of the drain screen . Might need to pull the screen and clean out under it too , most have a cross bar support for the screen .
--
Snag

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 11:00:50 PM UTC-5, dilbert firestorm wrote:

How old is the tub I had a super slow drainer:( that ended by replacing the drum trap with a regular trap, and replacing the copper drain line that was mostly filled with crud, to nice new smooth PVC
You can try drano or liquid plumber, but that lead to pinhole leaks, that grew to bring down my kitchen cieling.
Sometimes it just best to replace the mess. In my case that must be approaching 8 or10 years ago.
Before replacing the entire drain line it was getting pieced together every 5 years or so.
I pulled down all the drywall and plaster, and decided to get a plumber to do the job. The replacement line has better slope and drains great.
On 1/13/2015 10:35 PM, bob haller wrote:

house was built in 1996. never had bathtub worked on until recently.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On 1/13/2015 10:35 PM, bob haller wrote:

did think about using drano, but decided against it for that reason... bathtub is on 2nd floor.
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On Tue, 13 Jan 2015 22:00:21 -0600, dilbert firestorm

Some times you can take off the plate with the drain lever, pull out the stopper drum and run a closet auger (small snake) down the overflow hole. If there is a big wire ball on the end, you may need to cut some of it off. Make a smaller cone. Some designs will block the snake right at the bottom tho. It is usually a hair clog exacerbated by soap scum. A drain cleaner might work but you just want to dribble a little in over a period of time since most of it just goes down the drain. You just want to wet the hair clog and dissolve it.

I'd think either some hydroxide type drain cleaner, or a drain snake.
Closet auger:
http://www.rototoolmfg.com/images/6FT%20CLOSET%20AUGER%20TELESCOPIC%20DOWN%20HEAD.JPG
is far too large to go into a tub drain, it's designed for toilets.
On 1/14/2015 8:05 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have that tool! :D
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On 1/13/2015 11:00 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

Clean the hair out of the drain. Had that problem with shower drain years ago, and I got some stiff wire, fashioned a hook on the end and stuck it down the drain about a foot....it felt so mushy, I thought the drain might be broken and I was reaching mud. It took a little probing to pull out the most ghastly glob of hair imaginable! It was surely 35 years worth, knowing age of building. Gack! The slow draining showed up rather suddenly.
On 1/13/2015 10:00 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

You run down to your local hardware store and spend two buck to buy a Zip-It drain cleaning tool:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)21240590&sr=8-2&keywords=zip+it
Thread it down the drain into the trap, then pull it back out. The hair and gunk stuck in the trap will be pulled out with it. Cheap, fast, easy.
Honest to pete, everyone should keep a couple of these handy for quick drain clearing.
Moe DeLoughan wrote:

Dollar store sells plastic flexible barbed stick for that kinda job. We only use bubble bath aand never use soap bar in the shower, always liquid soap. Never had bath room drainage problem in any house we lived in.
On 1/13/2015 11:00 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

Others have suggested already.... drain snake, and possibly hydroxide base drain cleaner.
Best wishes, let us know how things work for you. So we can learn.

Try the zip-It (or alternative like it) first. I'm going to get one of those. But what I've done in the past is run some hot water and then squirt some dish detergent in the drain. Let it set about an hour. Then cover the overflow with a wet rag and use a plunger to loosen the hair/soap scum blockage up. You should draw some up into the tub is you're plunging right. Repeat that process a few time until in drains well. You might be surprised if you don't see much hair. I don't. I think just a few hairs meeting up with soap scum repeatedly can eventually clog the drain. The dish detergent seems to dissolve the soap scum. My tub is slowing about 6 years after I last did that process, so I'm due to do it again. My wife uses a drain hair screen so no long hair is getting down there.
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:05:29 -0500, Stormin Mormon

I don't have an overlow to test, at home. But, I'm guessing a closet auger is both too large, and not long enough. Perhaps we'll get a real life report from someone?
Anyone want to field test this?
On 1/13/2015 11:00 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

Good idea to see what type drain you have and look on-line for instructions on snaking if chemicals are inadequate.
In wrote:

And, as you pointed out, some bathtub drain lines are configured in a way where that will work and some are not.
On 1/14/2015 5:45 PM, TomR wrote:

I'd be curious if a closet auger will fit into a drain over flow for a tub. I rather doubt it. I await a field tester to report here.
In typed:

Just do a YouTube Google search like this on:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=youtube+unclog+bathtub+drain
Lots of excellent vieos that show you what to do.
In typed:

I understand your point, and a closet auger does seem like it would tend to be ratherr large for this type of drain line. But, I have designed and run new bathtub drain lines for a new tub from underneath, and when I can, I design them so that a snake placed down through the overflow would go straight down into a trap and then back up and then continue on inside the horizontal drain line. I like to do it that way when I can to allow for easy snaking out of the tub drain line. I haven't tried it, but I think that the ones that I have designed and installed would accept a closet auger.