Bathroom tile question

Hi everyone,
I am remodeling a bathroom in the cellar of my home and I was hoping someone could give me some advice about tile. The bathroom is not very large; maybe 10 feet long and 5 feet wide (the whrilpool takes up about 3 feet of the length)... Anyway, I am planning on putting dark imperador marble in this bathroom but I am not sure if I should tile the walls as well. If I have the walls tiled and go half way up with them, with regular sheetrock above that, I am worried that the bathroom will look extremely boxed in. Does anyone ever tile only the floor and the area surrounding the tub and leave the rest of the walls un-tiled... Its funny, I usually have millions of ideas, but I am king of stumped by this one... One more thing I ought to say, the ceiling in this bathroom is rather low... Just a few inches over 6 feet.
Sincerely, Anthony
Mirrored surfaces give an illusion of space.
mravenez asked:
Does anyone ever tile only the floor and the area surrounding the tub and leave the rest of the walls un-tiled?
Sure...it's very common. That's why they make those bullnosed border tiles. Leaves a nice transition from the tiled portion to the plain wall surface.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hi,
Thank you both for responding. I have thought about mirrored surfaces, but how exactly would it be applied in a bathroom situation. I mean, I know that the mirror that will be above the vanity goes without saying, but how else could it be used?
Sincerely, Anthony
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Don;t know about the conditons of your basement, but for any basement where flooding is a possibility, and that's most basements, I'd factor that in before I went with marble and extra tile. If it floods either from ground water or a burst water heater, it's just more costly damage to repair. Also, for resale value, I think extra money spent on a basement bathroom trying to make it look fancy isn't going to increase value anywhere near what it costs.
Another thing to consider is a pedestal sink instead of a vanity. If you can live without the counter space a pedestal sink opens up a small bathroom considerably.
I gotta give the wife credit for this one. I didn't think a pedestal would work for us, but with the addition of an antique telephone table next to a pedestal sink in our 6 x 8 bathroom, we have enough room for stuff and the room seems a lot more open than with the old vanity.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

<snip>
<snip>
Dont even think about regular sheetrock in a bathroom. Common sense and many building codes these days require moisture resistant and mold resistant drywall (greenboard). You'll be glad you did it that way.
Joe

Joe,
Actually, it is greenboard along with rockboard around the tub.. I've thought about water damage as another poster mentioned, but it is a very large basement and we don't have that kind of problem here.
Anthony