Bathroom Space Question

I want to replace the vanity in my bathroom. It was builtin when the house was built and is 27" across on the top. There is 5 1/4" space between it and the commode top. I want to buy a readymade vanity I saw at Home Depot. It's 30" across but with marble top it would be 31". That cuts down the space to 1 1/4" about - between it and the commode. Is there any practical reason why this would be a bad idea? All the pictures I see show more space. Is there something I'm forgetting to take into account? Thanks.
Dorothy
Install a piece of cardboard or plywood and see if you still like using the commode. If you are small have a large friend try it as well.