bathroom sink - wall pipe damaged at turn down - how to replace?

I was attempting to clear a clog in a bathroom sink. While replacing the p-trap I damaged the rust/weak wall pipe at the turn down. I assume I will need to replace a portion of the wall pipe. Would someone explain the process of repalcing a small portion of the wall pipe.
redbyrd

Your kidding right?
How could anyone help you with out knowing AT LEAST the materials your dealing with? Over the net vision is not perfected yet.
house built in 80's, standard chrome platted metal pipe. I bought new metal p-trap (to replace rusted one) and to keep consistant with existing components. I would like to know if it is probable for me to hack a small portion of exisitng (metal) wall pipe, replace with new pipe. What type of connections should I get?
redbyrd

Do you mean hacksaw through existing drain? Sure it can be done. Might be easier to replace it though.
Your local hardware store may be better able to show you what you need to do better than we can. I don't mean the big box store. A real hardware store.
redbyrd wrote:

If there is any solid pipe sticking out of the wall, you *could* saw off close to the wall and connect the new trap arm using a rubber coupling. There is a small (1 1/4" tubular size) coupling made just for that. Ugly, but quick fix.
If it's rotted all the way to the wall, then you'll have to dig further to see what kind of connection was used inside the wall. There were many types used depending on the part of the country and the DWV materials.
Jim