Bathroom Sheetrock

Okay,... do feel better now sweetie ? Don't worry, your PMS will subside in a few months.

Just because you are a "profeshonal" drywall tile installer who can't put on grout or caulking properly and all your jobs leak water into walls.

Don't assume that the rest of us do shoddy work as well.

Since you seem to like links to reinforce facts, here you go.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Why am I not surprised you have been referred to that link before.

ROTFLMAO !!!!

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Give it up. GH is right. Greenboard is not something a sane person would use as a tile substrate. I had the tile around a tub fail for exactly what you're proposing. The tile *caved* in on my kid while he was taking a bath (not totally coincidental).

You really are dense. Put up the backer-board and use thin-set to anchor the tiles. Any job doing is worth doing is worth a couple of bucks more to do right. Tiling over any sheetrock is foolish. ...at least.

Reply to
keith

ahh you'd never tell us if it fell apart anyway. pfft...

Reply to
G Henslee

Your breath stinks like dog shit. STFU

Wrong again you gap-toothed inbred. On both accounts. You're unqualified for anything 'cept s***ma taste testing, how the hell would you know anyway, you stump stupid sheep fucker.

Nobody suggested that.

Reply to
G Henslee

Happily, it'll outlive you

Reply to
Rudy

I am going to say it again.

Millions of homes have nothing but greenboard and never have any problems.

Sure, concrete backer board is stronger, but only an idiot would rip out already installed greenboard/drywall if there are no visible problems

If you lean against ANY drywall and go through, you have severe FRAMING PROBLEMS, that no amount of cement board will fix.

And if tiles are coming off on your head, they were never applied properly in the first place. Elmers white paper glue is not recommended by most tile manufacturers

And if you keep knocking holes in your shower or tub. You need anger management therapy, not cement board.

And judging by the tone of some posts, I'd say some here need to consider medication. Or at least cut back to no more than 40 cups of coffee a day.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

In your case, stop the coffee completely.

ROTFLMAO

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Ok, but it doesn' tmake what you say any more accurate.

Millions of homes have only insulation board for sheathing too, but that doesnt' make it somehow "right".

I guess I'm an idiot. Ripping out sheetrock and installing Hardi-Backer, or similar, isn't exactly rocket-surgery. It's rather simple, actually.

The problem is water penetration through a failed grout joint. I've had it happen. While noone went "through", the tile came down in the tub with my (then) 5-yo. It had nothing to do with the studs. They were fine, but the wallboard had disintegrated under the tile.

You're right. They weren't installed properly in the first place. They were installed on *sheetrock*. Anyone who does such shoddy work should be

*shot*.

Elmers white paper glue is not recommended by most tile manufacturers

Neither is sheetrock as a substrate. Go figure.

Clueless.

Perhaps, but in this case you're simply wrong. Changing a word or two won't make you any more right.

Reply to
keith

The name calling, insults, and arguing make you both look like idiots and made me think neither of you were really right.

"Millions of homes have only insulation board for sheathing too, but that doesnt' make it somehow "right"."

Actually, yes, with cross bracing in the framing this would be a correct application to meet code in many areas of the country, and it actually performs quite well when done correctly.

Tile over plain gypsum sheet rock or green/blue board is just a bad idea in area where there is water...with a caveat or two. It can be done in conjunction with products like Schluter's Kerdi and Ditra.

If you're tiling in a wet area, a CBU should be used. And, despite what's been written here, almost any tile job will eventually fail. It's just a question of time. Even a tile job on Green/Blue board will last for some time, even in a shower. It was common practice to tile over Green/Blue board for many years, but anyone who still does it is probably too arrogant to realize that we learn from out mistakes. Our mistakes? Yeah...despite what the one guy has said, the industry has changed because most green/blue board tile jobs in wet areas have failed.

Recent example? I'm in the middle of a 4 bathroom makeover in a house my friend recently bought. He got a hell of a deal on it. Didn't realize until the first wall fell on his kid that it was because of how the bathrooms were built. All the tubs and showers were built with green board 12 years ago and they're all falling apart now. ALL OF THEM!

I've spent much of my life working in this industry and can say, without reservation, the only acceptable backer in a wet area, as far as I'm concerned is a CBU...Cementitious Backer Unit, i.e. HardiBacker, Wonderboard, Durock. You can go a step better and simply float a wall with lathe and mud, but most folks aren't interested in spending that kind of money. As far as gypsum goes, I can't say as I would ever use it. However, I have heard some guys swear by Denshield for stone walls/floors where there's no real question about whether or not a lot of moisture will get through. Then again, those guys that swear by it, in my experience, are also the ones selling it.

Would I rip out an existing installation over green board to put in a CBU backed installation? Not until it failed or I got tired of looking at it.

And...quit the childish fighting?

Reply to
ShadowHawk